Let them eat turnips! Britons could be forced to rely more on UK-grown veggies in the event of an EU ‘No Deal’
- Pro-Brexit minister told friends of fears of trade disruption if Brexit talk collapse
- They said it could limit amount of choice of vegetables on supermarket shelves
- Britons may be forced to rely on home-grown food, such as turnips, instead
Britons could be forced to rely more on UK-grown vegetables such as turnips in the event of ‘No Deal’ with the EU (file photo)
Britons could be forced to rely more on UK-grown vegetables such as turnips in the event of ‘No Deal’ with the EU, a senior pro-Brexit minister has suggested.
The minister, who asked not to be named, has told friends of fears of trade disruption and chaos at Dover if Brexit talks collapse.
They said it could limit the amount of choice on supermarket shelves, forcing greater reliance on home-grown food like turnips.
The comments will be seen as a sign that warnings of ‘No Deal’ chaos are becoming accepted by Brexit-supporting ministers.
Brexit Secretary Dominic Raab this week accepted he ‘hadn’t quite understood’ how dependent the UK is on goods brought in via the Dover-Calais crossing.
One Cabinet minister has proposed a ‘Plan B’ to manage a collapse in Brexit talks.
Under the proposal, which has been put to Theresa May, the UK would leave the EU in March as expected but agree to pay its membership fees until the end of 2021 and to follow Brussels rules.
This would help avoid an immediate ‘cliff edge’ exit from the EU. Crucially, it would mean the UK would be able to negotiate with Brussels for another two years.
It would also avoid the full £38billion Brexit divorce bill. But it would not address what to do about Northern Ireland.
The PM is understood to have told the Brexiteer minister their plan ‘was not needed yet’.
The minister said it could limit the amount of choice on supermarket shelves, forcing greater reliance on home-grown food like turnips
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- YOUR FAT CATS – MAKING A KILLING OUT OF COVID
- WHAT WASTELAND IS LOVELY ENGLAND , THAT COULD BE A HOME GROWN PLOT – WHY DOES FOOD GROWN AT HOME TASTE SO MUCH BETTER ?
- BRITAIN DEMANDS OUR FISHERMAN GET THE NORTH SEA BACK – REJECT ALL EU ATTEMPTS TO GIVE EU FISHERMAN ACCESS TO BRITISH WATERS -FISHING, FARMING AND HOME GROWN FOOD FOR BRITAIN’S USE FIRST- NO EU DUMPING
- BREXIT STOPPED THE EU IMPORT DAMAGE TO UK AGRICULTURAL MARKETS
- TESTING THE SOIL AND TEMPERATURE
- BREXIT DAY BRITAIN