51 Inspiring Love Quotes
So today I would like to share thoughts about love from the people who have walked this earth before us (and from a few who are still here).
Timeless thoughts written down and spread throughout the decades, centuries and, yes, even millenias.
Thoughts not only about happy, romantic love but of love in other forms and stages too.
This is 51 of the most inspiring, touching and helpful quotes on love.
- “Love takes off masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within.” — James Baldwin
- “Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.” — Lucille Ball
- “Once the realization is accepted that even between the closest human beings infinite distances continue, a wonderful living side by side can grow, if they succeed in loving the distance between them which makes it possible for each to see the other whole against the sky.” — Rainer Maria Rilke
- “The most important thing in life is to learn how to give out love, and to let it come in.” — Morrie Schwartz
- “If I know what love is, it is because of you.” — Herman Hesse
- “I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you.” — Roy Croft
- “Love is a friendship set to music.” — Joseph Campbell
- “We are shaped and fashioned by what we love.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “When we are in love we seem to ourselves quite different from what we were before.” — Blaise Pascal
- “The way to love anything is to realize that it may be lost.” — Gilbert K. Chesterton
- “It takes courage to love, but pain through love is the purifying fire which those who love generously know. We all know people who are so much afraid of pain that they shut themselves up like clams in a shell and, giving out nothing, receive nothing and therefore shrink until life is a mere living death.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Don’t brood. Get on with living and loving. You don’t have forever.” — Leo Buscaglia
- “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” — Rumi
- “Love is of all passions the strongest, for it attacks simultaneously the head, the heart and the senses.” — Lao Tzu
- “You know it’s love when all you want is that person to be happy, even if you’re not part of their happiness.” — Julia Roberts
- “At the touch of love everyone becomes a poet.” — Plato
- “If I had a flower for every time I thought of you… I could walk through my garden forever.” — Alfred Tennyson
- “The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart.” — Helen Keller
- “Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead.” — Oscar Wilde
- “The only thing we never get enough of is love; and the only thing we never give enough of is love.” — Henry Miller
- “Lots of people want to ride with you in the limo, but what you want is someone who will take the bus with you when the limo breaks down.” — Oprah Winfrey
- “You know you’re in love when you don’t want to fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams.” — Dr. Seuss
- “Life without love is like a tree without blossoms or fruit.” — Khalil Gibran
- “’Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.” — Alfred Lord Tennyson
- “Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well.” — Vincent Van Gogh
- “The art of love is largely the art of persistence.” — Albert Ellis
- “If you would be loved, love, and be loveable.” — Benjamin Franklin
- “Love does not dominate; it cultivates.” — Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
- “I have decided to stick with love. Hate is too great a burden to bear.” — Martin Luther King, Jr.
- “We are most alive when we’re in love.” — John Updike
- “The love we give away is the only love we keep.” — Elbert Hubbard
- “The giving of love is an education in itself.” — Eleanor Roosevelt
- “The more one judges, the less one loves.” — Honore de Balzac
- “A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous.” — Ingrid Bergman
- “Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength, while loving someone deeply gives you courage.” — Lao Tzu
- “The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain. Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter’s oven? And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives? When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy. When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see in truth that you are weeping for that which has been your delight.” — Kahlil Gibran
- “Love is when you meet someone who tells you something new about yourself.” — Andre Breton
- “Love is a better teacher than duty.” — Albert Einstein
- “True love comes quietly, without banners or flashing lights. If you hear bells, get your ears checked.” — Erich Segal
- “Every person has to love at least one bad partner in their lives to be truly thankful for the right one.” — Unknown
- “Love is what you’ve been through with somebody.” — James Thurber
- “The best proof of love is trust.” — Joyce Brothers
- “A woman knows the face of the man she loves as a sailor knows the open sea.” — Honore de Balzac
- “For small creatures such as we the vastness is bearable only through love.” — Carl Sagan
- “Fortune and love favor the brave.” — Ovid
- “Love is not only something you feel, it is something you do.” — David Wilkerson
- “Loving people live in a loving world. Hostile people live in a hostile world. Same world.” — Wayne Dyer
- “Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don’t know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of witherings, of tarnishings.” — Anaïs Nin
- “Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.” — Martin Luther King Jr.
- “If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day so I never have to live without you.” — A. A. Milne
- “All you need is love. But a little chocolate now and then doesn’t hurt.” — Charles Schulz
What is your favorite quote on love?