LONDON (Reuters) – Three opinion polls released in Britain on Saturday showed support falling for Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Conservative Party, as public confidence in the government’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic declines.
2 MIN READ
JUNE 6, 2020 / 8:30 PM / UPDATED 8 HOURS AGO
However, the figures are unlikely to be an immediate concern for Johnson, who does not need to hold an election until 2024 after winning a comfortable parliamentary majority in December.
The sharpest swing came in a poll conducted by Survation on June 3, which had support for the Conservatives falling to 41% from 45% in the previous poll, conducted in the period May 22-26. Support for the opposition Labour Party rose by five points to 39%.
Surveys for Deltapoll and Opinium, both conducted on June 4-5, showed the Conservative lead narrowing to three percentage points.
Opinium said 47% of people surveyed disapproved of the government’s handling of the coronavirus crisis, against 34% who approved, extending a steady deterioration in confidence in the government since the crisis started.
Britain has suffered Europe’s highest reported death toll from COVID-19, with more than 50,000 deaths according to a Reuters tally this week based on official sources.
A survey on Thursday by the market research company Kantar indicated that British people had lost a greater degree of confidence in their government than citizens of any other country in the G7 group of large, advanced economies.
Reporting by David Milliken; Editing by Kevin Liffey
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- VOTE PEOPLE’S BREXIT
- THE CUCKOO IN THE NEST-THE REASON TO FORM AN ALTERNATIVE BREXIT SOCIALIST MARKET ECONOMY PARTY TO FIGHT EVERY SEAT IN THE NEXT GENERAL ELECTION-COMPLETE INDEPENDENCE FROM THE EU-A PEOPLE POLICY TO END POVERTY THROUGH STATE CONTROL OF ESSENTIAL SERVICES
- INCOMPETENT RECKLESS INEPT AND BLINKERED AND THAT IS OUR GREAT LEADER BORIS & HIS CRONIES – DEMAND A GENERAL ELECTION WHEN THIS VIRUS IS OVER
- ONE A LYING TOAD -ONE DRAGGED SCREAMING INTO THIS ELECTION
- THE LEFT IS BACKING A DEAD DONKEY-
- THE BORIS TIER SYSTEM IS COUNTER PRODUCTIVE -IT CONCENTRATES DEATH INTO EVER DECREASING CENTRES – SUPERMARKETS – THE ALTERNATIVE DOES THE OPPOSITE