Chris Whitty takes sly dig at UK coronavirus strategy – there’s a ‘lesson from Germany’
THE Chief Medical Officer for England admitted that Germany “got ahead” in the fight against the COVID-19 coronavirus compared to the UK and other countries.
Coronavirus: Whitty says there’s a ‘lot to learn’ from Germany
Dr Chris Whitty received a grilling from ITV’s Robert Peston regarding Germany’s strong performance in tackling the coronavirus compared to the UK Government’s response. The Chief Medical Officer pointed to Germany’s superior testing capacity as the reason why the nation has outperformed Britain in dealing with COVID-19.
Chris Whitty said: “We all know Germany got ahead in terms of its ability to do testing for the virus and there’s a lot to learn from that.
“We have been trying to learn the lessons from that.”
ITV’s Robert Peston tweeted in response: “I was very struck that @CMO_England said that the lesson from Germany, which has a lower death rate than the UK, is it tests many more people with #Covid19 symptoms than we do.”
Last week Conservative MP Tobias Ellwood explained why Germany’s coronavirus testing capacity is greater than the United Kingdom’s capacity.
Dr Chris Whitty received a grilling on Germany’s coronavirus performance
Chris Whitty said there are lessons to be learned from Germany
Mr Ellwood told the BBC’s Newsnight: “It is important when you make these comparisons of the countries to look at what is going on.
“Spain did a lot of testing, but they produced a test that did not work.
“They made huge mistakes because the equipment was faulty.
“In Germany, the company Roche which is a global diagnostics company is actually one of the five biggest biology labs in the world.
“They are able to do these things on site.”
Coronavirus: UK ‘not certain’ on when peak will hit says Whitty
At the time of writing, Britain has the 8th highest number of COVID-19 cases in the world.
The UK has more than 55,000 cases in total.
The death toll in Britain is currently higher than 6,100.
A total of 135 people have recovered from the virus in the UK.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- LONG NOSED Edward ArgarMP HEALTH MINISTER’S CHANGE BUT THEIR LIES STAY THE SAME –
- ALL THE KINGS HORSES AND ALL THE KINGS MEN COULD NOT PUT THE CORONAVIRUS PATIENT TOGETHER AGAIN – EVEN THOUGH THEY HAD BEEN IN AND OUT OF CARE – SAYS IT ALL ABOUT CORONAVIRUS BEING A MILD INFECTION FOR MOST
- UK ponders second COVID-19 lockdown as outbreak accelerates
- ALL THOSE IN GOVERNMENT WHO PLAN TO PRIVATISE THE NHS GO PRIVATE IF THEY GET CORONAVIRUS & NEED INTENSIVE CARE BECAUSE A SHORTAGE OF STAFF AND BEDS MUST BE RESERVED FOR NHS BELIEVERS HAVE PRIORITY
- Shitty Whitty fears for his Second Half Selection as Inside Forward
- CLAIMS FOR CORPORATE MANSLAUGHTER WILL POUR IN AND GOVERNMENT DAMAGES COULD AMOUNT TO A BANKERS £DOZEN