High level isolation unit
The Royal Free Hospital has a high level isolation unit (HLIU) which is used for the treatment of contact high consequence infectious diseases (HCID) such as Ebola.
The HLIU is run by a dedicated team of doctors, nurses and laboratory staff from the Royal Free London infectious diseases service. It was set up at the Royal Free Hospital in 2008.
Access to the unit is restricted to the team of specially trained medical staff. The HLIU is designed to ensure our medical staff can safely treat a patient with a contact HCID. A specially-designed tent with controlled ventilation is set up around the patient’s bed and allows the staff to provide clinical care while containing the infection.
There are various facilities in place including a specific entrance for the patient, autoclaves which decontaminate waste and a dedicated laboratory for carrying out tests, all of which help to ensure the patient can be treated safely and securely. All the air leaving the unit is cleaned so there is no risk to anyone at the hospital.
The high level isolation unit is always fully prepared to admit a patient with a contact HCID at very short notice.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- ADMINISTRATIONS CHANGE THE LIES STAY THE SAME – BECAUSE OF THE LIMITED NUMBER OF BEDS & STAFF THIS IS SUCH A BIG LIE IT MUST BE THE SUBJECT OF AN INVESTIGATION & IF PROVED WILL COST PUBLIC HEALTH ENGLAND WHO HAVE LIED ABOUT OTHER INFORMATION, £BILLIONS
- COVID WAS AN INFECTIOUS DISEASE AND THEN IT WASN’T – AND THE REASON ? – POLITICAL BECAUSE THE NHS DID NOT HAVE THE REQUIRED FACILITIES OR EXPERIENCED STAFF IN THE CUT DOWN NHS- HENCE THE SPEWCASTLE ALL “BAD EGGS” THROWN TOGETHER
- UPDATED – 256,000 CONFIRMED CASES -32,000 COVID 19 DEATHS A DROP IN THE OCEAN ? “THIS IS NOT AN HC INFECTIOUS DISEASE” (TORY GOVERNMENT AGENCY)- BUT STAY AT HOME – SAVE THE NHS – WE ARE WASHING OUR HANDS OF IT TOO…
- BREAKING NEWS – “PHE”- Status of COVID-19 As of 19 March 2020, COVID-19 is no longer considered to be a high consequence infectious disease (HCID) in the UK.
- Why has Trump been moved to Hospital ?
- IN THE US, ( & THE UK ) NON COVID 19 PATIENTS WITH UNDERLYING HEALTH ISSUES WERE ADMITTED AND MIXED WITH COVID 19 PATIENTS AND CAUGHT THE DISEASE AND DIED