- Category: EU & popular sovereignty
The labour movement should beware the drive to present continuing alignment with the EU Single Market as a ‘unifying’ post-Brexit policy, Britain’s communists have warned.
Addressing the Communist Party’s political committee on Wednesday evening (December 20), general secretary Robert Griffiths branded it a ‘one nation’ Tory and big business approach that would obstruct the progressive policies of a future Labour government.
‘EU single market rules enforced by the overbearing EU Commission and the unaccountable European Central Bank would not only prevent Britain from negotiating its own economic relations with other developed and Third World countries’, he warned.
‘They would also restrict or outlaw many of the measures in Labour’s General Election manifesto, including those for state-backed infrastructure investment, aid for industry, VAT reform, fairer public procurement policies, renationalisation of the railways and water supply and a regulated labour market that puts an end to super-exploitation’, Mr Griffiths pointed out.
The CP political committee reiterated its support for a ‘people’s exit’ from the EU, with no submission to EU single market rules, a minimum divorce bill and regulation of the movement of capital and labour rather than a ‘capitalist free market to maximise corporate profit’.
Britain’s communists will approach other left and labour movement forces early in the new year to reinvigorate campaigning for an EU exit settlement which respects popular sovereignty and safeguards the rights and powers of a future Labour government.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- LABOUR Movement ? – Maybe WE Should Call it Something Else .
- British Policies for the People in a Brexit Britain
- Labour Loss is that it is Not Listening to Lexiteers
- Jeremy Corbyn and Labour at the Crossroads – The People Before Party- Continued Again
- Jeremy Corbyn and Labour At The Crossroads – The People Before Party ?
- BIG MISTAKE CORBYN – YOU’VE BEEN TURNED OVER !