|Meghan Markle wins legal claim against Mail On Sunday|
The Duchess of Sussex has won a copyright claim against the Mail On Sunday over the publication of a handwritten letter to her estranged father. Meghan Markle sued Associated Newspapers Limited, the publisher of the Mail On Sunday and MailOnline, over a series of articles which reproduced parts of the letter. She claimed the five articles misused her private information, infringed her copyright and breached the Data Protection Act.
Letter ‘belonged to the Crown’
The publisher said it believed Jason Knauf – formerly communications secretary to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex – was a co-author of the letter, which it argued meant the letter belonged to the Crown. Knauf “emphatically” denied being a co-author. His lawyers said: “In our client’s view, it was the duchess’s letter alone.”
Meghan’s media battle
Meghan had already won the first part of the case against the paper, successfully claiming it had breached her privacy. The case was part of an ongoing battle between the Sussexes and the British press. The couple have said that their treatment by the media was part of their reason for stepping down from royal duties, with Prince Harry accusing “toxic” tabloids of damaging his and Meghan’s mental health