Regulator finds Tesco unlawfully blocked rivals from opening stores
The UK’s competition regulator on Friday said that Tesco (TSCO.L) had unlawfully prevented rival supermarkets from opening outlets close to its own stores.
The Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) said it discovered in 2018 that the UK’s largest grocery chain had prevented landlords from letting property to other supermarkets.
Not only could it have reduced competition and left shoppers “worse off,” the CMA said, but the practice is also unlawful under an order that it issued nearly 10 years ago.
Tesco was able to block rivals from opening stores near its own ones by introducing stipulations in land agreements, which in effect blocked landlords from signing leases with other chains.
Under the 2010 order, large grocery retailers are banned from preventing land being used by their competitors.
Following the CMA’s initial 2018 discovery, Tesco was asked to review its land agreements. It found 23 contracts — out of a total of its more than 5,300 agreements across the country — that breached the 2010 order.
Tesco, the CMA said, has now agreed to take “remedial action” for all of the affected agreements.
The supermarket will also improve its internal processes and staff training in order to prevent similar breaches from occurring in the future.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- FRESHLY “LICKED” BY “SELL FOR LESS” -THAN TESCO – AND ITS TRUE – SAINSURYS “EAT WELL”HAS COME DOWN MARKET ON SPECIALS AND SALES BUT NOT QUALITY WHILE TESCO HAS BECOME MORE EXPENSIVE – BUT WE STILL SHOP AT ALDI AND ASDA TOO ! MORRISONS COULD DO MUCH BETTER
- CAN SOMEONE TELL THICK BASTARD BORIS- WITH ALL THIS LOCKDOWN A COMPLETE FAILURE TO KERB THE VIRUS – HIS PLAN IS A FAKE -WHERE ARE THE VIRUS INFECTIONS RESULTING IN DEATHS COMING FROM ? – SUPERMARKETS & MIXING – FROM DAY ONE HAVE BEEN A FREE FOR ALL
- WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO ? SO CUPBOARDS ARE FULL AND MORE ARE HOME COOKING AT THE EXPENSE OF TAKEAWAYS AND RESTAURANTS
- THE GOVERNMENT IS ENGAGING IN PURE CORRUPTION BY COLLUSION -SUPERMARKETS ARE PROFITEERING AND SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED TO SELL GOODS THAT THE GOVERNMENT HAS BANNED OTHERS FROM SELLING
- A Travel Agent TO BE NAMED is Subcontracting out their work to Holidayteam.co.uk who deal direct with the airlines and hold Customers Money Illegally – Better BUY YOUR FLIGHT TICKETS DIRECT FROM THE AIRLINE – MY BANK IS INVOLVED NOW
- SUPERMARKET FOOD SURVEY BY EAGLE EYE