Leading Tory MP calls for reconstitution of key intelligence oversight body
The government’s failure to properly reconstitute the House of Commons’ Intelligence and Security Committee (ISC) has provoked a sharp rebuke from an influential faction of the ruling Tory party.
The ISC is a parliamentary committee tasked with the statutory responsibility to oversee the actions and performance of the UK intelligence community.
In what is being seen as a challenge to the government, senior Tory Tobias Ellwood has urged Prime Minister Boris Johnson to “understand the urgency” of the requirement to swiftly reconstitute the powerful oversight body.
Talking to Sky News, former army officer Ellwood, who is the Conservative MP for the Bournemouth East constituency, stressed the urgency of the situation in the context of prevailing national security threats, notably terrorism and espionage by hostile states.
“I would hate to see the government somehow having anything to hide, or perhaps too distracted to complete this appointment, or even doesn’t value it’s [the ISC’s] role”, Ellwood said.
Saturday’s alleged terror attack in Reading has galvanized sections of Parliament to demand the urgent revival of the ISC.
The previous ISC – like all parliamentary select committees – was disbanded just before last December’s general election.
The ISC was disbanded after its previous chair – dissident Tory Dominic Grieve – oversaw an extensive investigation into suspected Russian interference in British politics.
The ISC produced a report based on its findings but the PM has continually refused to release the report into the public domain.
In addition to terrorism, the alleged threat to British national security by hostile powers like Russia and China is often cited as another pressing reason for maintaining robust oversight over the British intelligence community.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- IS THAT MORE REDS UNDER THE BED OR JUST I SPY THE RUSSIANS ARE BETTER THAN THE BRITISH SECRET SERVICE NOW THAT JAMES BOND HAS LEFT ?
- KGB PUTIN HAS HIS STICKY FINGERS MIXED UP WITH INTERFERENCE IN THE AFFAIRS OF OTHERS COUNTRIES – JUST LIKE THE US AND UK HAS
- WASTED MONEY ON OBSOLETE US DEFENCE AIRCRAFT
- IS IT A TRAP FOR THE POLICE TO “KNEEL ON HER NECK” OR THE COURTS TO LOCK HER UP IN BELMARSH WITHOUT CHARGE PENDING EXTRADICTION- IT’S ALL NORMAL PRACTICE IN ROTTEN BRITAIN
- IF IT’S NOT DEMOCRACY – THEN WE ARE HEADING FOR FASCISM IN BRITAIN
- WANTED, THIS MAN FOR INEPTITUDE DECEIT & ALSO BEING PRIME MINISTER