This species is so named due to the colour of the hindwings and the markings on the forewings which make it unmistakeable. There is little variation although on rare occasions the pinkish markings are replaced with yellow, or the forewing is red with a black border or the wings are completely black. Easily disturbed by day and flies in sunshine. Also flies after dark.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- THE FINCHES ARE BACK IN GARDEN
- CRICKET CROCKET
- Coronavirus: where do new viruses come from?
- VOTE SNP AND WATCH OUT THE SCOTTISH £POUND
- Rare albino panda caught on camera in China – The spotless, red-eyed animal was photographed while trekking through the forest mid-April in southwestern Sichuan province
- DISEASES FLY IN TO BRITAIN