Nearly 100,000 are infected by Covid-19 every day, say scientists
The Imperial College London’s figures are more than four times higher than the government’s numbers
ALMOST 100,000 people a day in Britain are being infected by coronavirus, according to new study today – more than four times higher than the government’s figures.
The Imperial College London study came after the government announced that the whole of Nottinghamshire is being placed into Tier 3 lockdown from Friday, not just part of the county as originally planned.
And in West Yorkshire the leaders of the county’s five Metropolitan district councils were preparing for an “imminent” announcement that West Yorkshire is to be placed in Tier-3 lockdown.
This would leave more than 10 million people in the north and Midlands living under tier-three lockdown, suffering the hundreds of thousands of job lay-offs and company closures which come with the highest level of Covid-19 restrictions.
The Imperial College study, which is based on tests taken between October 16 and 25, estimated that 128 people per 10,000 of England’s population has the virus, compared to 60 as of October 5.
This corresponds to 96,000 new infections each day with the number of infections now doubling every nine days, the report said.
Professor Paul Elliott, one of the report’s authors, said: “We’re seeing a nationwide increase in infection prevalence, which we know will lead to more hospitalisations and loss of life.”
Labour’s shadow health secretary Jonathan Ashworth said: “This study reveals just how serious the situation we are now in is.
“The virus is growing nationwide. This will inevitably lead to more loss of life, more serious harm, immense pressure on the NHS and a slow, damaging drag on the economy.”
He called on PM Boris Johnson to announce “what steps he will now take to get control of the virus and save lives.”
West Yorkshire is expected to join Liverpool City Region, Greater Manchester, Lancashire, South Yorkshire, Nottinghamshire and parts of Cheshire under tier-three restrictions.
Bradford City Council leader Susan Hinchcliffe said: “It is clear from our conversations so far that the government is unflinching in its resolve to put Bradford and West Yorkshire into Tier 3.”
Wages paid to furloughed workers will be cut from 80 per cent to 67 per cent by the government this weekend.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- THIS VIRUS IS NOT BEATEN BECAUSE IT HAS NOT BEEN ISOLATED AND CROSS INFECTION WILL CONTINUE JUST AS OTHER VIRUSES REMAIN
- HIGHER AND HIGHER IS NEARER TO MY LORD ?
- THE MAD SCIENTISTS ARE CORRECT-THIS 3 TIER LOCKDOWN WILL SEE A TEMPORARY REDUCTION INSPITE OF THE FREE FOR ALL AT SUPERMARKETS-LEADING UP TO AND AT CHRISTMAS / NEW YEAR THE NUMBERS OF REAL COVID DEATHS WILL SPIKE BECAUSE THE MEDICS PLAN IS TOTALLY WRONG
- THIS DECISION DENIES THOSE IN TIER 3 WHO ARE NOT AT RISK OF THEIR CIVIL LIBERTIES & THOSE AT RISK THAT HEALTH IS NOT A RIGHT BUT A PRIVILEGE, THE NHS IS NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE AS HOSPITALS FAIL TO TREAT ALL PATIENTS AS EQUALS AND BOTH ARE ILLEGAL
- LOCKOUT BORE IS, HANDCOCK AND RISKI – CHANGE DIRECTION FOR THIS VIRUS – LET THE VIRUS TAKE ITS COURSE WITH THE YOUTH AND HEALTHY – PROTECT THE VULNERABLE – LET THE BEER FLOW
- HAVING RELAXED RESTRICTIONS ON LOCKDOWN – AND THE WEATHER CHANGING FOR THE WORSE – IT’S TIME TO “STEP BACK AND STAY AWAY “