FROM 1000 AD to 1500 AD
Sheep have been a most attractive proposition since the late medival times to the European.
It supplied milk & meat, fat for cooking and tallow for lighting,wool to clothe the northerners and the skins for parchment makers.
The Church was up to its grounds in sheep and abbeys and monastries kept up to 20,000 each.
Wool merchants were the wealthiest traders in Britain as were Butchers doing very nicely thank you.
A handier portion than a cow until the Tudor landlords came along and stole the common lands for grazing sheep and nowhere for their cattle. which could provide butter cheese whey curds cream, sod ( boiled milk), raw milk sour milksweet milk and buttermilk that were all essential to their diet.
It was a change taking place that all could not only have enough food but enough of the kind of food they liked .
So sheep farming declined in Britain and it became a cinderella industry and they became the scavengers of the farming industry.
But not in New Zealand and Australia and this led to Upland and Lowland sheep breeds for production of meat and wool
but there were no sheep pioneers until Bakewell Leicesters as in the Dairy industry
and sheep farming became very traditional and still is to this day.
In fact sheep and cattle compliment each other as one eats short grass and the other needs longer grass to produce milk and meat
Lamb has become more popular at home and exports are up
but mutton with its stronger flavour has still not found a niche market
though most lamb dishes are mutton as it does not disintigrate like lamb in cooking.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- LAMBS HOGGETS AND MUTTON – FRESH OR FROZEN ? BUT IS IT MOUNTAIN MADE
- IRELAND AND THE UK JOINED AT THE HIP ?
- BORIS GIVE THE LIQUID MILK MOUNTAIN AWAY FREE TO CHILDREN IN LOCKDOWN-COUNTY COUNCILS, LIKE BLINKERED DURHAM, COULD HAVE GOT OFF THEIR BACKSIDES AND ISSUED 1/2 LITRE VOUCHERS TO EVERY SCHOOL CHILD UNDER THEIR RESPONSIBILITY WITHOUT BEING INSTRUCTED
- IT’S SHEER MADNESS -BRITAIN DOES NOT HAVE A BRITISH BREXIT AGRICULTURE POLICY FOR BRITAIN – INVOKE THE SPIRIT OF 45
- A NO DEAL AND RESTAURANT RESTRICTIONS WILL AFFECT THE MARKET
- The Agricultural Revolution helped bring about the Industrial Revolution….