After Brexit Day – Wagons Roll – Until They are Stopped-
5th Feb 19
Senior European Union officials have rejected any possible compromise on the already agreed Brexit Withdrawal Agreement, countering British Prime Minister Theresa May’s push for new negotiations.
Chief EU negotiator Michel Barnier rejected any additional negotiations over Brexit on Monday, noting that any alternative mechanism to the deal can be considered only after Britain leaves the EU.
Head of the European Commission’s civil service Martin Selmayr also rejected reports that the EU would consider adding legally binding assurances to the original agreement.
On the EU side, nobody is considering this. Asked whether any assurance would help to get the Withdrawal Agreement through the Commons, the answers of MPs were … inconclusive …. The meeting confirmed that the EU did well to start its no deal preparations in December 2017.
Selmayr further quipped at the claim, saying “the EU did well to start its no-deal preparations in December 2017.”
The statements came a day after May vowed to “battle” for a solution for her government’s embattled Brexit initiative in future talks with the EU.
May’s draft Brexit deal with the EU was rejected in the British parliament by a large majority on January 15. She has since then vowed to work with the EU to find a solution to the backstop problem.
The so-called backstop clause of the Brexit deal is an insurance policy designed to prevent the return of border checks between Ireland, which is an EU member, and British-ruled Northern Ireland.
Critics say the clause would undermine the UK’s sovereignty as it effectively separates Northern Ireland from the mainland Britain.
If May fails to reach any settlement over the backstop, Britain may leave the EU on March 29 without a deal.
A no-deal Brexit would reinstate a hard border between the two Irelands, three decades after checks and controls were removed as part of a historic deal signed between London and Dublin.
Speaking on Monday, Irish Finance Minister Paschal Donohoe claimed that Dublin had rejected London’s attempts at bilateral border talks over the matter.
Donohoe insisted that Ireland will not engage in any negotiation process that leads to the implementation of a hard border.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- BREXITEERS ALL FEEL SHAFTED BY PM MAY’S BREXIT PLANS – THAT IS WHY ONLY A NO DEAL AND CHANGE OF GOVERNMENT IS SO NECESSARY – BUT NOT NECESSARILY THE EU LOVING LABOUR PARTY
- LABOUR PUSH THE BOAT OUT BUT WHO IS AT THE HELM ?
- Irish Reunification the Only Solution to the Border issue
- Or Brexit Barking Up The Wrong Tree ?
- UK MUST ABANDON THE EU FOR WTO TRADE – THE IRISH QUESTION IS UP TO IRELAND
- What is the backstop? An answer – WE do nothing ! The Government have always been very good at that What I mean is we leave our border open and let Ireland and the EU decide if they are going to leave their border open too. No Backstop or Front Stop