TO AN INDEPENDENT BRITAIN THAT REPELLED THE NAZIS
Sir Edward Heath, the former Conservative prime minister who took Britain into Europe and became a symbol of moderate Tory resistance to the excesses of Thatcherism, died last night of pneumonia. He was 89.
He stood down as an MP in 2001, 27 years after being voted out of Downing Street. He lost the Tory leadership to his unlikely challenger, Margaret Thatcher, in 1975 – a year after he lost two elections in rapid succession.
Which PM signed the Maastricht Treaty?
The Maastricht Rebels were British members of Parliament (MPs) belonging to the then governing Conservative Party who refused to support the government of Prime Minister John Major in a series of votes in the House of Commons on the issue of the implementation of the Maastricht Treaty (Treaty on European Union) in British law.
The Maastricht Rebellion was a major event in the life of John Major‘s troubled second term as Prime Minister (1992–1997). Major’s party had a small majority, thus giving the relatively small number of rebels disproportionate influence: for example, there were 22 rebels on the second reading of the European Communities (Amendment) Bill in May 1992, and the government’s majority at the time was only 18.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- TED HEATH WHO GOT EU CASH TO TAKE THE UK INTO EUROPE WAS POLITICAL CORRUPTION
- The History Behind “Brexit” starts with the People who voted to LEAVE – The History of Europe ended with Hitler’s occupation
- QUISLING TRAITORS TO THE PEOPLE’S BREXIT – AND WE KNOW WHERE TRAITORS HANG OUT
- MORE THAN HALF OF BRITONS HATE THE EU AND THE GERMAN/FRENCH DOMINATION OF IT
- BORIS -ANOTHER TORY BITES THE DUST – STOP BEING SO ACCIDENT PRONE AND ASK THE BREXIT PARTY FOR SUPPORT
- A STATEMENT BY THE BREXIT PARTY