Brexiteer Claire Fox in plan to abolish House of Lords from INSIDE after peerage offer
BREXITEER Claire Fox has outlined her plan to abolish the House of Lords from within.
Brexit: UK fisherman backs no-deal to boost employment
The Brexit Party member took to Twitter to express her views as more democratically elected MPs and MEPs were offered peerages in the unelected House of Lords. Ms Fox tweeted: “Thank you all so much for many wonderfully generous messages of support. It seems positive that the historic significance of Brexit has been recognised via so many of those offered peerages.
“It feels as much a recognition of voters as individuals.
“I’m thrilled that many people I admire are joining The House of Lords, especially some feisty women.
“But, the irony is, having more democrats in the unelected House of Lords at least might make the cause of democratic accountability harder to side-line.”
She then went on to answer any critics that may find her acceptance of the appointment hypocritical.
Claire Fox has been given a peerage
She tweeted: “For those reminding me that I’ve always argued to abolish the Lords, well spotted.
“I stand by that.
“But as with The Green Party peers, I’ll argue that in the House of Lords while it exists.”
The former MEP then described how she views the House of Lords in the same way as she views the European Parliament.
Houses of Parliament
She added: “I have some recent experience as an MEP of participating in an undemocratic body, which I disagree with.”
In July 2020, Ms Fox was nominated for a peerage.
It has been reported that she will sit as a non-affiliated peer in the upper chamber.
Mx Fox has been a vocal opponent of the House of Lords, citing it as undemocratic as peers are unelected.
Sturgeon forced to accept EU’s terms and common fisheries policy [INSIGHT]
Nicola Sturgeon’s SIX major failures as Scotland’s First Minister [INSIGHT]
Scotland in danger of being ‘left behind’ with Sturgeon as SNP leader [VIDEO]
Boris Johnson on the campaign trail
She congratulated Liberal Democrats for not taking up peerages in 2015.
On 31 July Ms Fox was one of 36 people to be given a seat in the House of Lords.
Others nominated to the upper house included Ken Clarke, Frank Field, and Ian Botham.
In appointing peers at the end of July Prime Minister Boris Johson appointed a host of ex-MPs, party loyalists, and even his own brother.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- THE HOUSE OF LORDS IS THE MONARCHS MANIPULATION OF PARLIAMENT FOR AND BY THE PEOPLE – SCRAP BOTH AND REFORM THE COMMONS WITH THE WILL OF THE PEOPLE
- CORBYN, LORD OF “LET THE LEFT DOWN”/ “HAD A GOOD HOME THEN HE LEFT”, ? EX.NUPE REP, LEFT OUT IN THE COLD FROM WEARING WIGS OR WATTLES. ACCEPTING A GONG WOULD BE THE ULTIMATE HUMILIATION FOR THE DAILY LEFT.
- THE END OF THE LORDS IN FAVOUR OF A SECOND ELECTED CHAMBER ?
- 98% of RIGHT WING EXPRESS PRESS DEMANDS BORIS DISMANTLE THE LORDS BY LAW AND ?? REPLACE THEM WITH A SECOND ELECTED CHAMBER
- ‘Get out now!’ Boris Johnson told to pull the UK out of EU trade talks as time runs out
- BREXIT MEANS INDEPENDENCE IN 2020 – THE LORDS IS A THOUSAND YEARS OLD AND PAST ITS SELL BY DATE