VERYLate News-Newport By-election on April 4th
A SUCCESSOR to the late firebrand Labour MP Paul Flynn will be elected in a Newport West by-election to take place on April 4.
FRIDAY, MARCH 1, 2019
Labour chief whip Nick Brown moved the writ in the Commons yesterday to trigger the by-election, which was approved by MPs.
Mr Flynn, who represented the South Wales constituency for 32 years, died aged 84 EARLIER THIS MONTH (hmmm) after a long illness.
His funeral at St Woolos Cathedral in Newport will take place on Friday March 22 from 11am, it was announced on Wednesday.
Mr Flynn was staunchly against nuclear weapons and the Iraq War, and was a champion of the medicinal use of cannabis as well as the decriminalisation of its general use.
He retained the seat at the 2017 general election with a 5,658 majority over the Tory candidate.
Gower MP Tonia Antoniazzi, in opening the annual St David’s Day debate yesterday, said: “His firebrand speeches and unstinting campaigning style will be sorely missed by many but I’m sure some of the government members may be slightly relieved.”
Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn had described him as “an independent thinker who was a credit to the party” and Wales First Minister Mark Drakeford called him a “giant of the Welsh Labour movement.”
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- WHAT WE WANT IS A GENERAL ELECTION ! – BEST FOR BRITAIN – THE EU – AND ….. MP’S
- SINN FEIN – IRISH CREAM- UNITED IRELAND ?
- MAY TO CALL A GENERAL ELECTION IF LABOUR LOSE NEWPORT WEST – CALLING JC TO ASSIST BREXIT MAKES HIM THE FALL GUY
- BORIS IS RUNNING SCARED AND FOR THE BED COVERS
- .Brexit REBELLION: Left-wingers follow Galloway to back Nigel Farage’s surging Brexit Party -THE Labour EU elections list is so remain heavy left-wing Brexiteers are throwing their lot in with Nigel Farage, including George Galloway.
- POSING AS LOYAL LABOUR ?