(Reuters) – The British government said it will introduce a bill into parliament on Wednesday for legislation to end automatic rights for European Union vessels to fish in UK waters.
JANUARY 29, 2020 / 1:19 AM / UPDATED 4 HOURS AGO
Under the Fisheries Bill, Britain will leave the European Union’s Common Fisheries Policy at the end of the 11-month Brexit transition period on Dec. 31, giving it the power to operate as an independent coastal state.
The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs said that would allow Britain to operate its fish stocks sustainably outside the EU.
“In future, access to fish in UK waters will be a matter for the UK to negotiate and we will decide on the rules that foreign vessels must follow,” it said in a statement.
Regaining control of Britain’s rich fishing waters, a totem for Brexit campaigners, may have repercussions for its much larger financial sector as the EU and Britain negotiate final departure plans.
Hopes were high that Prime Minister Boris Johnson would prioritise the financial sector – Britain’s largest export industry and biggest corporate tax generator – in trade talks. But bank sources told Reuters last week that a push by the EU for fishing access to UK waters and London’s stance that it will diverge from EU rules are prompting them to review hard-Brexit plans that could see more jobs than anticipated move to Europe.
A spokesman for Johnson had flagged the fisheries legislation on Monday, saying “we are going to be taking back control of our own fishing waters. The EU should be in no doubt about our determination on that issue.”
Britain exits the European Union on Jan. 31, heading straight into an 11-month transition period to allow for negotiations on the final shape of the post-Brexit relationship.
Reporting by Kanishka Singh in Bengaluru; Editing by Muralikumar Anantharaman and Jane Wardell
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- TANTAMOUNT TO TREASON AGAINST THE STATE – BRITAIN’S TERRITORIAL WATERS BELONG TO BRITAIN AND THE FARMERS OF OUR SEAS HAVE THE RIGHT TO DEFEND THEM IF THE DEFENCE OF THE REALM THE ROYAL NAVY WON’T
- BREXIT IS BREXIT BORIS – NO FROGS FISHING IN BRITISH EXCLUSION ZONE – THE COD WARS – ICELAND STYLE START NOW – NO EU TRADE OR MILITARY DEAL
- DEMAND A NO DEAL BREXIT – FISHING LIMITS ARE OURS – NO MORE A SECOND CLASS BRITISH INDUSTRY, INVESTMENT NOT WORTH THE PROFIT !
- BREXIT- CHANNEL ISLANDS JUMP THE GUN WITH BAN ON FRENCH FISHERMEN IN THEIR WATERS –
- MUTINY TO CONTROL THE SEAS AROUND BRITAIN ?
- NO TO EU FISHING IN BRITISH WATERS – BORIS TO GET FILLETED IF HE LETS THE FISHING INDUSTRY DOWN OVER BREXIT