BREXIT HISTORY MADE: UK strikes £15.2bn trade deal with Japan sending message to EU
BRITAIN has signed its first post-Brexit trade deal with Japan today after a tumultuous few days of talks between the UK and the EU.
UK-Japan trade deal: Expert explains terms of trade agreement
Officials in London and Tokyo have both confirmed the historic agreement has been signed. Liz Truss, the UK trade minister, held a video conference with her Japanese counterpart Toshimitsu Motegi this morning. The Department for International Trade confirmed the UK had signed its first post-Brexit trade deal on Friday morning.
It said in a statement: “The UK has secured a free trade agreement with Japan, which is the UK’s first major trade deal as an independent trading nation and will increase trade with Japan by an estimated £15.2billion.
“The UK-Japan Comprehensive Economic Partnership Agreement was agreed in principle by International Trade Secretary Liz Truss and Japan’s Foreign Minister Motegi Toshimitsu on a video call this morning (Friday 11 September).
“The deal is tailored to the UK economy and secures additional benefits beyond the EU-Japan trade deal, giving UK companies exporting to Japan a competitive advantage in a number of areas.
“It will help to create jobs and drive economic growth throughout the whole of the UK.”
- https://crcdn01.adnxs.com/creative/p/364/2020/7/24/20047761/98229381-1401-4dfe-84c2-5b9544554386.png”); background-size: cover;” title=”Save 10% when you subscribe today” data-strategy=”cover”>
Brexit news: Britain is set to sign its first trade deal today
Liz Truss held a video conference this morning
Ms Truss took to Twitter to announce the deal had been reached, and said it marked a big step for Britain’s future.
She said: “Proud to have agreed a historic UK-Japan trade deal with @moteging.
“This is a great deal for Britain, going beyond EU-Japan in key areas like digital & data, financial services and food & drink.
“A British-shaped deal that delivers for the whole country.”
Brexit news: The Department for International Trade confirmed the UK had signed its first trade deal
The official Government statement said the free trade agreement will provide a significant boost to the UK economy.
It said: “UK businesses will benefit from tariff-free trade on 99% of exports to Japan. Government analysis shows that a deal with Japan will deliver a £1.5 billion boost to the UK economy and increase UK workers’ wages by £800 million in the long run.
“UK manufacturers, food and drink producers and the tech sector are all set to benefit from the measures in the UK-Japan deal.”
It comes after Brexit trade talks with the EU reached breaking point yesterday, following Boris Johnson’s proposals to tear up parts of the Withdrawal Agreement.
Liz Truss said she was proud to have agreed the historic deal
Brussels has demanded the UK abandon plans to override key elements of the Brexit deal in an emergency meeting yesterday.
At the meeting, cabinet minister Michael Gove insisted the Government “could not and would not” drop measures in legislation tabled earlier this week.
It prompted European Commission vice-president Maros Sefcovic to accuse the UK of an “extremely serious violation” of international law, putting the ongoing trade talks in jeopardy.
More to follow…
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- TORIES NOT TRADING WITH VIETNAM FOR COFFEE, CUBA FOR CIGARS RUSSIA FOR RAW MATERIALS & CHINA FOR TOURISM EDUCATION AND EVERYTHING ELSE ?
- IT’S PERSONAL & INSULTING AND IT’S JUST THE START – THE EU ARE A NASTY PIECE OF WORK – BRITAIN MUST BAN ALL EU COOKED MEATS AND SHOPPERS BOYCOTT EU FOODS – WE NEED MORE TRANSPARENT LABELLING
- “GREAT” FOR WHOM BORIS – PROFITS BEFORE PEOPLE ? – SELLING MORE OF THE SILVER – LET THE PEOPLE SEE THE “GRAND” PLAN FIRST – SECRECY WILL RESULT IN SUSPICION – WILFUL WASTE MAKES WOEFUL WANT
- BURNT TOAST FOR BRITAIN’S BREXIT BREAKFAST WHILE THE EU WILL SMIRK ON FOIE GRAS
- BORIS LIED – NO DEAL ON OCTOBER 15th – A HOLLOW MOCKERY AND DECEITFUL SHAM – LIKE TRUMP BORIS JOHNSON IS A CONGENITAL LIAR AND WILL BE A ONE TERM WASHOUT TOO
- LEAVE MEANS LEAVE BUT “GET IT DONE” IS A HOLLOW MOCKERY AND DECEITFUL SHAM