Politics Explained: How did Labour come to renounce Jeremy Corbyn so quickly?
The former leader’s supporters seemed to have firm control of the institutions of the party, with the support of the mass membership, but it has evaporated fast
All leaders look permanent until, suddenly, they are gone. But the revolution that Jeremy Corbyn wrought in the Labour Party seemed set to last longer than he did. He had amassed half a million members, and his supporters had taken control of the party’s annual conference, its ultimate sovereign authority, and its national executive, its day-to-day ruling body.
Yet the Corbynites have gone too. The party has changed completely. Despite promising to keep all of Corbyn’s policies, Keir Starmer has repudiated one of the defining qualities of Corbyn’s politics, its attempt to “yes but” its opposition to antisemitism, and he has asserted total control of the party.
Starmer now has a majority on the national executive, has appointed his own general secretary, and we will not find out how much the party’s annual conference has changed, because it has been cancelled this year and replaced by an https://labourlist.org/2020/08/online-event-connected-set-to-replace-labours-cancelled-2020-conference/” data-vars-event-id=”c6″ style=”box-sizing: inherit; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font: inherit; vertical-align: baseline; text-decoration-line: none; color: rgb(236, 26, 46);”>online event called “Connected”.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- LESS RESPECT FOR RAW EGGS THAN EVEN THE PEOPLE’S BREXIT
- BREXIT -“You have sat too long here for any good you have been doing. Depart, I say, and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go.”
- YOUR BREXIT/LEXIT BIRTHDAY PRESENT – CORBYN’S HEAD ON A PLATE
- NO VOTE ON THE “ONLY DEAL” to RESULT IN A UK GENERAL ELECTION
- YOU CALL IT EUGENICS _ OTHERS CALL IT GENOCIDE – THE SICK & ELDERLY, SOCIAL GROUP 5 & THE INSTITUTIONAL UNTERMENSCHEN – ALL LEFT TO DIE
- SOCIALISTS LENT CORBYN’S LABOUR THEIR SUPPORT – IN THE 2019 “BREXIT” ELECTION CORBYN FAILED THEM SO THEY WITHDREW IT, LEAVING A BLIARITE REMAINER AS LEADER AGAIN –