Labour to call for motion of no confidence in government
LABOUR insisted today that it will call a motion of no confidence in the government if Theresa May’s Brexit deal falls in Parliament.
Shadow Brexit secretary Keir Starmer said that although it would be a challenge, Labour must argue to fold the government if the Prime Minister loses the vote on the deal on December 11.
Speaking to Sophy Ridge on Sky News, Mr Starmer said: “It seems to be that if the Prime Minister has lost a vote of that sort of significance then there has to be a question of confidence in the government.
“I think it’s inevitable that we will seek to move that.
“Obviously, it will depend in what actually happens in nine days, it will depend on what the response is.
“But if she’s lost a vote of this significance after two years of negotiation, then it is right that there should be a general election.”
Under the Fixed Term Parliament Act, if the government loses a vote of no confidence it has a fortnight to pass a second confidence motion. If it cannot do this, Parliament is then dissolved and a general election is called.
Environment Secretary Michael Gove has insisted Ms May could win the vote despite internal opposition.
He said: “We have got to recognise that if we don’t vote for this, the alternatives are no deal or no Brexit.”
However, the government has been rocked by resignations from Ms May’s front-bench team in the past several weeks in protest against her Brexit deal.
A fresh blow was dealt on Saturday when universities minister Sam Gyimah resigned, claiming that he could not back the deal in good faith.
Mr Gyimah pledged to vote against the deal and called for a second referendum on European Union membership, claiming that it would be the “most sensible path for both leavers and remainers.”
Labour Party chairman Ian Lavery said: “Theresa May’s government continues to fall apart in front of our eyes.
“May’s botched deal is failing because it would be bad for Britain and people are waking up to that. We want to end this chaos with a sensible, jobs-first Brexit.”
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- Labour To Do it Single Handed ?
- HOW MANY TIMES WILL IT TAKE TILL SHE KNOWS ?
- ACTION JEREMY CORBYN – MAKE LEAVE MP KATE HOEY BREXIT SECRETARY TO REPLACE KEIR STARMER AFTER 12TH DEC COLLAPSE OF MAY’S PLAN B, SAYS THE RADICAL
- NOVEMBER 5th + 20 = 25th When The Parliamentary VOTE ON BREXIT GOES POP FOR MAY
- UNITE CALLING THE KETTLE BLACK – IT WAS MCCLUSKEY’S UNION THAT OPPOSED BREXIT FOLLOWING THE DEAR LEADER’S PARTY UP THE GARDEN PATH
- LABOUR’S STARMER IS THE NO 1 SNIVELING LICKSPITTLE CESSPIT AND SHOULD BE SENT PACKING – HE COULD LOSE LABOUR A GENERAL ELECTION WITH TALK LIKE THAT