Edward Heath was ‘given £1.5MILLION before signing away UK sovereignty’
EDWARD HEATH received a hefty financial reward before taking Britain into the EEC – the precursor to the EU – and signing away sovereignty, unearthed reports reveal.
Edward Heath discusses joining Common Market in 1971
Since 1973, EU and previously EEC membership has constricted Britain’s ability to make decisions as policies and laws have often been set by people who are not directly accountable for those choices. However, Britain has finally put an end to this. As Brexiteers revel in this historic moment, unearthed reports shed some light on the man who took the country into the bloc in the first place.
Former Prime Minister Edward Heath signed the accession treaty to join the EEC in 1972.
However, that was just the culmination of a lifetime’s effort as the Conservative politician had already started warming to his task in 1961, when Harold Macmillan announced he had applied to join the Community for the first time.
Mr Heath quickly gained the nickname of “Mr Europe” and kept pressing Britain’s cause in Brussels while championing the European aspiration at home.
Despite the failure of Mr Macmillan’s negotiations, Mr Heath’s contribution was still praised.
How Edward Heath was ‘given £1.5 million before signing away UK sovereignty
Britain left the EU yesterday at 11pm
According to his 1993 biography, written by John Campbell, after French President Charles De Gaulle exercised his veto against Britain, Mr Heath responded: “We in Britain are not going to turn our backs on the mainland of Europe or on the countries of the Community.
“We are a part of Europe: by geography, tradition, history, culture and civilisation.”
Because of this speech, he was awarded the Charlemagne Prize in 1963 for his work done towards European unification.
According to 1990 book “Treason at Maastricht” by author Rodney Atkinson and political activist Norris McWhirter, Mr Heath received £75,000 as part of his prize.
In today’s money that equates to around £1.5million.
The book says: “[Mr Heath] certainly benefited, after having signed away British sovereignty in 1972, from the £75,000 Charlemagne Prize – presented by the German city of Aachen – for those who have done most for the construction of the European State.”
Former Prime Minister Harold Macmillan
Former Prime Minister Edward Heath
A 2005 report by the Daily Telegraph rejected this claim, suggesting Mr Heath actually received much less from the European Parliament.
The report reads: “He was awarded the Charlemagne Prize; and put the £446 bounty towards a Steinway piano.”
After receiving the award, Mr Heath took almost a decade before taking Britain into Europe.
Since then, he has been accused of having lied to his electorate of the repercussions of Britain’s membership.
In June 1971, a White Paper had been sent to every home in the UK, promising: “There is no question of Britain losing essential sovereignty.”
Then, in a television broadcast in January 1973 to mark his signing of the Treaty of Rome, Mr Heath went even further.
He said: “There are some in this country who fear that, in going into Europe, we shall in some way sacrifice independence and sovereignty.
“These fears, I need hardly say, are completely unjustified.”
However, Mr Heath’s assertion is largely at odds with what he verifiably already knew about the EEC and its true plans.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- LABOUR ‘S PETER SHORE & TONY BENN WERE TRUE BREXITEERS TO SUPPORT – NOT THESE TORY COWARDS – HEATH WAS A QUISLING – THE MINERS DEPOSED HIM
- REMEMBER THE EU – EVERY ONE OF THE FOUR MILLION GERMAN SOLDIERS WHO WERE POSTED TO RUSSIA (BARBAROSSA) COMMITTED WAR CRIMES – AND THE Henri Pétain VICHY FRENCH GOVERNMENT STOOGES FOR THE NAZIS –
- EU DECEIT – BREXIT REMAINERS ARE SUPPORTING FRENCH FARMERS AGAINST BRITISH AGRICULTURE – POLITICIANS MUST FIND OUT HOW FRANCE CHEATS THE SYSTEM GETS AWAY WITH IT & DUMPS FOOD ON BRITAIN
- And For Afters – THE FAKE DEAL EXPOSED – AFTER OVER 4 YEARS HOW COULD BREXIT BE SO MISUNDERSTOOD ?
- BREXIT -THE FINAL PEASANTS REVOLT AGAINST POLITICAL ALLIANCE WITH EUROPE
- EU – NO WE DID NOT JOIN – PM MAJOR SIGNED UP TO AGREEMENTS MILLIONS OF BRITAIN’S OPPOSED – KEEP BRITISH FISHING WATERS FOR THE BRITISH – REMEMBER- HMS HOOD BORIS, OR BE SUNK YOURSELF