Boris Johnson: too many care homes didn’t follow coronavirus procedures – video
Care leaders, unions and MPs have rounded on Boris Johnson after he accused care homes of failing to follow proper procedures amid the coronavirus crisis, saying the prime minister appeared to be shifting the blame for the high death toll.
With nearly 20,000 care home residents confirmed to have died with Covid-19, and estimates that the true toll is much greater, there has been widespread criticism about a lack of personal protective equipment (PPE), testing and clear guidelines for the sector. On Monday, the total UK coronavirus death toll rose to 44,236, up 16 on the day before.
The Guardian has previously revealed how public health officials proposed a radical lockdown of care homes at the height of the pandemic, but they were overruled by the government. Agency staff were found to have spread the virus between homes, but a health department plan, published in April, mentioned nothing about restricting staff movements. Around 25,000 patients were discharged into care homes without being tested for coronavirus, an official report said.
Speaking during a visit to Goole in Yorkshire, Johnson said the pandemic had shown the need to “make sure we look after people better who are in social care”.
He went on: “We discovered too many care homes didn’t really follow the procedures in the way that they could have but we’re learning lessons the whole time. Most important is to fund them properly … but we will also be looking at ways to make sure the care sector long term is properly organised and supported.”
The comments followed fears that ministers – mindful of a likely future inquiry into how the UK came to have the highest coronavirus death toll in Europe, with the proportion of care home deaths 13 times higher than in Germany – could be seeking to lay some of the responsibility on outside bodies, including Public Health England (PHE).
A No 10 spokesman insisted Johnson was not blaming care homes, saying they “have done a brilliant job under very difficult circumstances”. He added: “The PM was pointing out that nobody knew what the correct procedures were because the extent of asymptomatic transmission was not known at the time.”
But Nadra Ahmed, chair of the National Care Association, which represents smaller and medium-sized care providers, said Johnson’s comments were “a huge slap in the face for a sector that looks after a million vulnerable people, employs 1.6 million care workers and puts £45bn into the economy every year”.
She added: “Despite the fact PPE was diverted, despite the fact we didn’t have testing in our services, despite the fact they’ve not put any money into our sector, it has worked its socks off, and it’s a huge disappointment to hear the leader of our country say what he’d said.”
A spokesman for the Association of Directors of Adult Social Services said Johnson was correct to say the sector needed reform and more funding. But he added: “Social care has been hit hard by Covid-19 and it feels unfair to blame care homes for the initial response to the pandemic as they did not feel prioritised from the outset.”
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- THE RADICAL SAYS – WAS IT MURDER OR GENOCIDE ? – She says: “I believe this made care homes a death trap, exposing vulnerable people to a disease that could kill them.”
- Thousands more could be dead in care homes than official figures show -( We Shall Know from the Registrar of Deaths If these figures are not also faked)
- Exclusive: UK coronavirus outbreak kills at least 20,000 in care homes – Reuters calculation
- BREAKING SCANDAL -ITS NOT THE MISINFORMATION TORIES CLAIM THEY WERE UNAWARE OF, ITS THE INCOMPETENCE INEPTITUDE AND DOWNRIGHT LIES THAT THESE MINISTERS SHOULD BE SACKED FOR BORIS
- FAT FACES FAKE NEWS SERVICE FOUND OUT -ONS: Coronavirus deaths are 41 percent higher
- GOVERNMENT CONTRADICTION – TO DIE OR NOT TO DIE THAT IS THE GOVERNMENT DECISION ON THE ELDERLY AND DISABLED ( JUST STAY AT (CARE)HOME AND DIE ?