Marcus Rashford clashes with Tory MP over child food poverty
Manchester United striker tells Kevin Hollinrake to ‘talk to families before tweeting’
Marcus Rashford launched a child food poverty taskforce last week. Photograph: Martin Rickett/NMC /PA Media
Marcus Rashford has rebuked a Conservative MP on Twitter for suggesting that parents who need help to feed their children are failing in their parental responsibilities.
The Manchester United star responded to Kevin Hollinrake, the MP for Thirsk and Malton, suggesting that he talk to struggling families before tweeting.
The discussion began after Hollinrake tweeted that 186,000 discounted meals had been claimed via the government’s “eat out to help out” scheme in his North Yorkshire constituency.
A Twitter user responded to say that it was “undoubtedly a success, Kevin, and I’m sure warmly welcomed by the hospitality industry. Credit where it’s due. Whilst we’re discussing food, why does it take footballer @MarcusRashford to make a stand for the hungry children in our society? Is that not the government’s job?”
Hollinrake replied: “Where they can, it’s a parents job to feed their children.”
This prompted a firm reply from Rashford, who has 3.3m Twitter followers.
Last week, Rashford unveiled the “child food poverty taskforce” that he has formed in concert with brands including Aldi, Tesco, Deliveroo and Kellogg’s, three months after he forced a government U-turn on summer holiday school meal vouchers.
“Food poverty is contributing to social unrest,” he wrote, reflecting on a series of recent meetings with families in need of the support that he counted on as a child. He described “watching a young boy keeping it together whilst his mother sobbed alongside him, feeling like he has to step up to protect his family and alleviate some of that worry. He was nine years old.”
“I know that feeling,” he wrote. “I remember the sound of my mum crying herself to sleep to this day, having worked a 14-hour shift, unsure how she was going to make ends meet. That was my reality.”
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- KAMP COMMANDANT Dehenna Davison MP Bishop Auckland VOTED AGAINST CHILDREN FREE MEALS AT SCHOOL BREAKS – MARCUS RASFORD SAID “not only hungry but feeling like they do not matter”.
- INSTITUTIONALLY RACIST & MISOPAEDIC TORIES NEED PILLORYING
- A POLITICAL FOOTBALL THE TORIES DARE NOT KICK INTO TOUCH – THIS SINGLE ISSUE CAMPAIGN IS TO ADDRESS THE 3.9MILLION CHILDREN LIVING IN POVERTY.
- ONLY SLOP, BREAD AND WATER FOR POORHOUSE CHILDREN AND COFFEY THE FAT TORY CONTROLLER BITCH WHO HATES THE IDEA OF FEEDING CHILDREN IN POVERTY
- Don’t ‘turn a blind eye’ to starving kids, warns Marcus Rashford