Tesco gives permanent jobs to 16,000 staff taken on in Covid crisis
The permanent Tesco roles include 10,000 pickers, who select and pack grocery orders for home deliveries, and 3,000 drivers. Photograph: Andrew Boyers/Reuters
Tesco is to permanently employ 16,000 extra staff taken on during the pandemic to help support a surge in online grocery trade.
The roles include 10,000 pickers, who select and pack grocery orders for home delivery, and 3,000 drivers, as well as a variety of other roles in stores and distribution centres.
Tesco’s move comes after the electrical goods specialist AO.com, the DIY chain Kingfisher and the delivery firms DPD and Hermes hired thousands more workers to cope with the rise in home deliveries. However, the shift online has hit high streets hard, with Marks & Spencer, John Lewis and Boots among the chains shutting stores and slashing jobs.
The UK’s biggest supermarket said it had already hired 4,000 other permanent staff since the start of the pandemic, during which it took on more than 20,000 temporary workers to help cope with higher demand and to cover for those forced to self-isolate.
The hiring comes as online groceries have risen to 16% of Tesco’s sales during the pandemic, up from about 9% at the beginning of the year. The supermarket is expecting online sales of £5.5bn this year, up from £3.3bn last year.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- Supermarkets are Killing Competition, Squeezing Producers & Artificially Controlling prices
- WHAT ELSE IS THERE TO DO ? SO CUPBOARDS ARE FULL AND MORE ARE HOME COOKING AT THE EXPENSE OF TAKEAWAYS AND RESTAURANTS
- CAN SOMEONE TELL THICK BASTARD BORIS- WITH ALL THIS LOCKDOWN A COMPLETE FAILURE TO KERB THE VIRUS – HIS PLAN IS A FAKE -WHERE ARE THE VIRUS INFECTIONS RESULTING IN DEATHS COMING FROM ? – SUPERMARKETS & MIXING – FROM DAY ONE HAVE BEEN A FREE FOR ALL
- PROFITTING FROM MISERY- LEGAL LICKSPITTLES
- ADVICE ON SELF ISOLATING – ONLY CONTACT 111 OR YOUR GP IF YOUR SYMPTOMS ARE SEVERE
- SUPERMARKET FOOD SURVEY BY EAGLE EYE