S.V. Dáte takes the president to task for repeated untruths but is quickly cut off
Donald Trump at Thursday’s White House briefing where he was asked if he ‘regretted ly.ing to the American people’ Photograph: Oliver Contreras/EPA
S.V. Dáte had waited five long years to ask Donald Trump one question: “Mr President, after three and a half years [of Trump’s presidency], do you regret at all, all the lying you’ve done to the American people?”
Confronted with Dáte’s question at Thursday’s White House briefing, Trump responded with a question of his own. “All the what?,” he said.
Dáte: “All the lying, all the dishonesties.”
Trump: “That who has done?”
“You have done,” said Dáte, who is the Huffington Post’s White House correspondent. “Tens of thousan–”, he began to say, before Trump cut him off and called on another journalist, who asked a question about payroll tax.
In July, the Washington Post reported that Trump had told more than 20,000 “false or misleading claims” over the course of his presidency.
Speaking to the Guardian, Dáte said that he asked the question because it was the first time that he had had the chance.
“I don’t know why he called on me, because I’ve tried to ask him before [in March] and he’s cut me off mid-question. Maybe he didn’t recognise me this time,” he said. “You know, he has this group of folks that he normally asks questions of.”
It was Dáte’s turn on White House in press pool, and so he had a prominent seat. “I had always thought that if he ever did call on me, this is the one thing that is really central to his presidency,” he said.
Trump’s lying was the “singular piece of his presidency that will be remembered in 10 years”.
Dáte wasn’t surprised by Trump’s response to the question – ignoring it was always going to be the most likely reaction, he thought.
Asked whether he thought he would be allowed in next time, Dáte said, “Yes, absolutely.”
With the burning question posed, what would he ask if he had another chance?
Given that Trump had failed to respond, it would be: “‘Mr President, you didn’t answer last time. Could you address why you’ve told …’ whatever the number will be by then,” said Dáte.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- TOXIC TRUMP the TERMINAL TOERAG
- Theresa May insists she is not a robot but has artificial intelligence, stuck on repeats. England failed with the bat again. This is a bad omen come the Ides of March 29th. How to wind down an automatist- manual required
- OR ILLEGAL ACTION – TRUMP MAY NOT TAKE THIS LYING DOWN OR SKIRT AROUND THE ISSUE
- THE LAST MAN STANDING IN VIETNAM – TRUMP GOES AS PRESIDENT AND RETURNS IMPEACHED ? – BUT WILL HE COME IN VERY SMALL BOXES OR THE STIFF UPPER LIPPED SAME OLD DONALD
- THE CORRUPTION OF THE CAPITALIST SYSTEM IS THAT TRUMP PAID LESS TAX THAN A PENSIONER
- BORIS – IT’S YOUR WEAK WITHDRAWAL AGREEMENT ! – DONALD IS TRYING TO TELL YOU THAT IF YOU DON’T MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE BREXIT PARTY, CORBYN’S LABOUR WILL WIN. – HAVE YOU GOT THE MESSAGE