Meghan Markle and Harry warned over ‘appalling’ royal loophole in Frogmore Cottage payment
MEGHAN MARKLE and Prince Harry have been warned, by the CEO of Republic, that using a royal loophole to get back the £2.4million they repaid for Frogmore Cottage refurbishments would be “appalling”.
Meghan Markle using loophole would be ‘appalling’ says expert
Republic is an organisation that campaigns for the abolishment of the monarchy and for Queen Elizabeth II to be replaced by an elected, democratic head of state. Graham Smith, Republic’s CEO, told Express.co.uk that Frogmore Cottage should be used by the Crown Estate to raise money for the Treasury rather than the Duke and Duchess of Sussex’s UK base.
Regarding Harry and Meghan using a royal loophole to claim back the money they paid to the Sovereign Grant to cover the costs of the refurbishment of the building, Mr Smith said: “I think that would go down very badly with the general public.
“They may argue that the Crown Estate is getting the house back and they ought to pay for the refurbishment, but that refurbishment was done for Meghan and Harry to their specifications.
“They have got the money to pay for it.
“This property should be being used by the Crown Estate to raise money for the treasury.
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry repaid the £2.4 million cost of refurbishing Frogmore Cottage
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry’s final royal engagement was the Commonwealth Service
“But it has not been doing that, it has been providing a home for Harry and Meghan.”
He added: “I think it would be pretty appalling if they turn around and say we won’t use it therefore can we have our money back.
“I think that would go down very badly.”
Last week during the Royally Obsessed podcast, royal experts Roberta Fiorito and Rachel Bowie discussed the loophole that could allow Meghan Markle and Prince Harry to get the money that was spent on Frogmore Cottage back if they ever decide to give up ownership of the listed building.
Meghan Markle and Harry: Experts on Frogmore Cottage finances
However, Ms Bowie stated that she expected the Duke and Duchess of Sussex to hold onto Frogmore Cottage as their UK residence.
Ms Bowie said: “I did not realise this but reading more and more about the Frogmore Cottage payment they will get that money back if they ever decided to give that house back to the Queen.
“They will recoup that money because it is a historic UK residence of the Royal Family.
Princess Beatrice heartbreak: Wedding sparks row amid privilege claim Meghan Markle to take on Trump? Duchess of Sussex to run for President [ANALYSIS]
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- Here is a man learning what an honest job is – They should all return so he can become a Farmers boy
- LIFE MEANS LIFE THE ROYAL NEW BOY THE TAX PAYERS MUST SERVE – ALL NOISE AT ONE END AND NO SENSE OF RESPONSIBILITY AT THE OTHER
- SHOULD MEGAN MARKLE STAND FOR PM ? WITH HARRY WINDSOR AS HER AGENT ? – YES OF COURSE SHE WOULD BLOW MORE THAN A FEW COBWEBS AWAY AND DISCOVER WHAT THE RULING CLASSES ARE REALLY MADE OF – SHIT SERVED UP AS SOCIETY – BUT WITH AN ALL LIVES MATTER MANIFESTO .
- NOT KING CHARLES III ? – AFTER THE CHARLES, DIANA & CAMILLA SCANDAL & NOT KING WILLIE THE FIFTH EITHER – SO LET THE PEOPLE DECIDE ! WHO WOULD YOU CHOOSE AS PRESIDENT OF THE UK – DAVID ATTENBOROUGH ?
- IS HARRY INFLUENCED BY MEGAN A BLUE WHITE OR A RED REFORMER AND IS HE CHARLES SON ? – HE COULD BE A GREAT UK PRESIDENT
- WE NEED A REPUBLIC – THE MONARCHY & THE CHURCH WERE SLAVE TRADERS AND THAT HASN’T CHANGED