FCO Minister extremely concerned about situation in Thailand
Foreign Office Minister concerned by democratic deterioration, restrictions on media, expression and assembly in Thailand.
The Rt Hon Hugo Swire MP
Speaking today, the Minister of State responsible for South East Asia, Hugo Swire, said:
I am extremely concerned at the deterioration of the democratic environment in Thailand. Arbitrary detentions, restrictions on local and foreign media, and limitations on freedoms of expression and assembly undermine trust in the intentions of the military leaders. I urge the Thai military authorities to provide a clear timetable for the restoration of civilian government by means of elections, in line with democratic values, and to respond proportionately to peaceful protest and dissent. In view of these negative developments, the UK is reviewing the scope of its cooperation with Thailand.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- Burma UK Campaign To FREE POLITICAL PRISONERS
- The Last (Absolute) Kingdom of Thailand ?
- Asia- What Next for Thailand – Part 2
- A Civil War in Waiting – The Bloodbath lies with the Soldiers and Police
- Asia Thailand- Palestine Solidarity Campaign -(PSC) Thailand
- Ten keys to the Constituent Assembly in Venezuela