Thousands of UK healthcare workers given inaccurate Covid-19 tests, minister admits
Junior health minister Helen Whately told Sky News on Wednesday that NHS staff have been informed that their coronavirus tests were “not up to scratch” and results may not be accurate. They have now been offered a new test.
At least 100 frontline health workers have died from Covid-19, according to the most recent figures. Defending the serious error, Whately claimed it was all part of a “normal process when you are using a test for an illness.”
My understanding from the clinical advisers is some of the early tests were evaluated and the evaluation was actually they weren’t effective enough.
It comes after Health Secretary Matt Hancock – who has promised 100,000 tests by the end of April – recently claimed that “no test is better than a bad test.”
Editor of openMedia James Cusick reported on Monday that a leaked Public Health England (PHE) document seen by openDemocracy warned that the flawed tests had failed to detect up to 25 percent of positive Covid-19 results.
It’s the latest controversy to hit the UK government, which has been accused of badly mishandling the coronavirus pandemic. In particular, reports of a severe lack of personal protective equipment (PPE) for health and social care workers has dogged the health secretary.
The UK government received widespread criticism after PHE changed its advice to medical professionals to allow for the reuse of PPE where there are “acute shortages.” During questions from the House of Commons Health Committee on Friday, Hancock sarcastically insisted that he “would love to be able to wave a magic wand and have PPE fall from the sky in large quantities,” but global shortages were essentially tying his hands.
The UK currently has 129,044 confirmed cases of coronavirus infection with a death toll that has risen to over 17,337, according to official government figures.
However, the UK’s Office for National Statistics (ONS) – which uses coronavirus data from hospitals, care homes, and elsewhere in the community – published eye-watering figures on Tuesday showing the true numbers are likely to be 41 percent higher than government statistics.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- ALL DEATHS MUST BE INCLUDED SINCE THE VIRUS OUTBREAK INCLUDING DEATHS AT HOME – EVEN THOSE WITH “UNDERLYING MEDICAL CONDITIONS” – REGISTRAR RECORDED STATISTICS FROM PREVIOUS YEARS CAN LATER BE CONSIDERED
- HANCOCK THE COCKERELL STRUTTING HIS STUFF – NEEDS STRIPPING SO THE LITTLE SQUIRT WORKS NAKED THEN PUT HIM IN BEWEEN TWO CORONAVIRUS PATIENTS UNTIL HE COUGHS UP PPE
- PUBLIC HEALTH ENGLAND CAN’T ADD UP NEVER MIND SAVE LIVES – A MICKEY MOUSE MANAGEMENT – YOU WOULDN’T WANT TO MAKE IT UP BECAUSE IT’S SO SICKENING !
- Matt Hancock asked by ICU nurse how he ‘can look any NHS worker in the face’
- BREAKING SCANDAL -ITS NOT THE MISINFORMATION TORIES CLAIM THEY WERE UNAWARE OF, ITS THE INCOMPETENCE INEPTITUDE AND DOWNRIGHT LIES THAT THESE MINISTERS SHOULD BE SACKED FOR BORIS
- AN ANTIBODY TEST IS GOOD TO CHECK IMMUNITY LEVELS THAT CAN CONFIRM OR NOT THAT IT IS UNLIKELY YOU CAN GET THE COVID VIRUS (AGAIN) LESS SEVERELY – IT DOES NOT STOP YOU TRANSMITTING THE DISEASE