The revenge of strategic yogurt
How the EU started speaking French when it comes to the economy
Danone is proud of its yogurts. The French company boasts that 4bn patented bacteria go into every pot, with each batch fermented for eight hours, or roughly a quarter of the French working week. France, understandably, is proud of Danone. When rumours emerged in 2005 that Pepsi was considering a bid for the company, the French political establishment howled. Dominique de Villepin, the then prime minister, pledged to defend the “interests of France”. Jacques Chirac, the president at the time, promised to be “vigilant and mobilised” against any potential predator of French business. Anglo-Saxon capitalists guffawed. In Brussels, European Commission officials rolled their eyes and delivered lectures on the merits of red-blooded competition. “Strategic yogurt” became a byword for the excesses of French protectionism.
After a decade of such jokes, French ideas are now the bedrock of the eu’s economic policy. In Brussels, industrial strategies for everything from hydrogen to car batteries have been developed. (Incidentally, Thierry Breton, the French finance minister during the Danone row, is now the commissioner responsible.) A carbon border tax—first seriously floated by Chirac—is on the cards, which would involve duties on products entering the single market from polluting countries.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- THE MORNING STAR WANT TO ALLOW ANYONE TO PADDLE INTO BRITAIN.
- GET BORIS DONE – WILL BE THE SLOGAN FOR THE NEXT GENERAL ELECTION IF HE GIVES IN TO EU
- NEW YEAR QUIZ – HOW MANY YEARS SINCE 1700 HAS BRITAIN BEEN AT WAR WITH FRENCH SOIL WHEN THE DOVER TO CALAIS ROUTE WAS CLOSED TO TRADE ?
- EU DECEIT – BREXIT REMAINERS ARE SUPPORTING FRENCH FARMERS AGAINST BRITISH AGRICULTURE – POLITICIANS MUST FIND OUT HOW FRANCE CHEATS THE SYSTEM GETS AWAY WITH IT & DUMPS FOOD ON BRITAIN
- Human Imports From France Must be Paid For
- BREXIT IS BREXIT BORIS – NO FROGS FISHING IN BRITISH EXCLUSION ZONE – THE COD WARS – ICELAND STYLE START NOW – NO EU TRADE OR MILITARY DEAL