THE European Union has been warned Britain will have the capacity to supply up to half of all the fish demanded in Europe following the expiration of the post-Brexit transition period.
Brexit will be ‘failure’ without coastal employment says fisherman
Paul Lines, chairman of Lowestoft Fish Market Alliance, told Express.co.uk that Britain could dominate the European fishing marketplace through supplying fish caught in British waters. He added that the UK Government must prioritise rebuilding the domestic fishing industry and that thousands of jobs will need to be created in the industry for Brexit to be deemed a success.
Mr Lines said: “You want the raw material to cut up and sell and if we are clever there is a lot of money to be made.
“We could supply half of the fish that Europe needs.
“Instead of their own boats catching it we could be the catchers and suppliers of it, that is our marketplace.
“Fishermen are the ones that will lose out, processers won’t as that raw material will come from anywhere.
Paul Lines is the chairman of Lowestoft Fish Market Alliance
Brexit news: The exclusive economic zones of the UK and surrounding European countries
“The Dutch, French and Belgian fishing industries have had 40 years of growth, through grant injection and opportunities.”
He continued: “We have had 40 years of demise, Brexit has got to turn the tables on that demise.
“We have got to rebuild the industry and create 12,000 jobs around Great Britain in fishing.
“It is as simple as that and if it does not happen for us Brexit will have been a complete failure.”
Brexit: Raab discusses the ‘moment of reckoning’ in negotiations
The British fisherman also backed UK to return to its former glory and replace their European competition as the dominant force in the fishing sector following the end of the post-Brexit transition period.
Mr Lines said: “Britain stands to regain some of its former greatness.
“I have been in fishing for 45 years and all I have ever seen is the demise of fishing, I have seen half of our fleet cut up.
“I have seen days where the sea comes in and restricts what you do.
UK needs to push EU for same fishing deal already given to NorwayUnderestimating the importance of fishing ‘devastated’ UK towns [ANALYSIS]
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- TWO FISH FINGERS TO THE EU – WE ARE AN ISLAND – THE FISH IN OUR SEAS ARE OUR LIFE BLOOD – INDEPENDENCE DOES NOT MEAN CRAWLING UP BARNIERS BUM
- DEMAND A NO DEAL BREXIT – FISHING LIMITS ARE OURS – NO MORE A SECOND CLASS BRITISH INDUSTRY, INVESTMENT NOT WORTH THE PROFIT !
- BREXIT MEANS NO COMPROMISE OF FISHING FARMING AND HORTICULTURE IMPORTS OF BRITISH INTERESTS
- SHACKLED & SUNK – MAY’S CUSTOMS UNION IF IT GIVES EU FISHERMEN ACCESS TO BRITISH WATERS – AND EU FARMERS FOOD IMPORTS A FREE ACCESS – WE NEED A 200 MILE FISHING EXCLUSION ZONE AND THE CHANNEL UNDER BRITISH CONTROL TO IMPORTS
- Brexit will be ‘GREAT’ for fishing industry says British fisherman- They have ripped into Theresa May for selling out the industry, and have warned “our freedom is in peril”.
- EU – NO WE DID NOT JOIN – PM MAJOR SIGNED UP TO AGREEMENTS MILLIONS OF BRITAIN’S OPPOSED – KEEP BRITISH FISHING WATERS FOR THE BRITISH – REMEMBER- HMS HOOD BORIS, OR BE SUNK YOURSELF