Boris Johnson has sacrificed Britain’s fishing industry to get a Brexit trade deal with the EU, industry leaders have said.
Barrie Deas, chief executive of the National Federation of Fishermen’s Organisations, said there would be “frustration and anger” about the agreement reached in Brussels this afternoon, which he said contained “significant concessions”.
Under the agreement reached with Brussels, there would be a five-year transition period during which little would change, for EU fishermen to adjust to fishing less in British waters.
But after this, the EU catch would reduced by just 25 per cent, compared to a much higher 60 per cent cut the UK was asking for even until the last week of the negotiations.
It is also believed the UK failed to negotiate an exclusion of EU fishing fleets from its exclusive 12 mile economic zone, as it had been pushing for.
Mr Johnson spoke at length to European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen this week in discussions that are understood to have been key to signing an agreement.
“In the end it was clear that Boris Johnson wanted an overall trade deal and was willing to sacrifice fishing,” Mr Deas of the NFFO told the PA news agency.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- EU – NO WE DID NOT JOIN – PM MAJOR SIGNED UP TO AGREEMENTS MILLIONS OF BRITAIN’S OPPOSED – KEEP BRITISH FISHING WATERS FOR THE BRITISH – REMEMBER- HMS HOOD BORIS, OR BE SUNK YOURSELF
- IF BORIS THINKS BREXITEERS ARE ONLY RIGHT WING – HE SHOULD WATCH HIS COMFORT ZONE. MOST BREXITEERS DESERTED CORBYN FOR A LEXIT – RISKY BUSINESS BORIS
- THE BREXIT BETRAYAL
- DEMAND A NO DEAL BREXIT – FISHING LIMITS ARE OURS – NO MORE A SECOND CLASS BRITISH INDUSTRY, INVESTMENT NOT WORTH THE PROFIT !
- NO TO EU FISHING IN BRITISH WATERS – BORIS TO GET FILLETED IF HE LETS THE FISHING INDUSTRY DOWN OVER BREXIT
- BORIS DOESN’T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT PEOPLE WHO “PRODUCE” FOR BRITAIN – HE WASTES PEOPLE AND MONEY