Prime Minister Johnson had been due to visit Washington shortly after his election victory in December, however, the visit has been postponed many times over disagreements between the two leaders regarding Iran, Huawei and the extradition of Anne Sacoolas, the CIA agent accused of killing British teenager, Harry Dunn, in a Northamptonshire road accident.
Friday, 14 February 2020 5:22 PM [ Last Update: Friday, 14 February 2020 6:13 PM ]
Ms Sacoolas, 42, the wife of a US intelligence official based at RAF Croughton, who it has been revealed is also a CIA asset, was granted diplomatic immunity following the crash and was able to return to her home country, sparking an international controversy.
She was charged with causing Mr. Dunn’s death by dangerous driving in December.
But US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo rejected an extradition request from the UK for her last month.
The disagreements, following a series of high-profile threats from Trump and a series of pointed interventions against Trump by Johnson and senior members of his government, having gradually gained mass, resulted in a furious phone call from the president last month after which he hung up on Johnson, according to officials with knowledge of the conversation.
Mr. Trumps ire was set off by Johnson backing Huawei while disregarding threats by Trump and his allies that the United States would withdraw security co-operation with the UK if the deal went ahead.
Trump’s threats reportedly “irritated” the UK government, with Johnson frustrated at the president’s failure to suggest any alternatives to the deal.
The prime minister had been one of Trump’s few close international allies, with the president labelling Johnson “fantastic,” a “good man” and “Britain Trump.”
The PM has cancelled the scheduled trip next month and is not planning a US visit until the G7 summit in June and would instead be concentrating his efforts on domestic agenda in the months ahead.
“When the Eye of Sauron is off the Whitehall machine, things stop working,” one source told the Sun Newspaper.
“That is why he has stripped down all his foreign travel this year to get his agenda done.”
Although the cancellation was not intended as a snub to the US president, it may be seen that way in Washington ahead of trade deal talks both sides want to complete as soon as possible.
Following the call, US Vice President, Mike Pence, said that the Trump administration had made its disappointment at the UK “very clear to them”.
Downing Street insists that Mr Johnson is ‘’currently focused on the UK domestic agenda and… Levelling up for the British people’’.
Boris Johnson stood up to Washington once again on Wednesday, claiming UK’s extradition arrangements with the US are ‘imbalanced’ and suggesting they need to be reviewed.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- THE YANKS LEFT BRITAIN ONCE – SEND TRUMP PACKING TOO
- ARE WE AN INDEPENDENT COUNTRY OR A SATELLITE & PUPPET GOVERNMENT FOR THE YANKS – ASK HARRY DUNN’S FAMILY & THOSE DEMANDING US BASES IN THE UK GO HOME
- TRUMP – OUT IN THE COLD ? – 2017 -“Trump suggested that American companies could buy bits of the NHS as part of a post-Brexit trade deal”. – TODAY -“I” want nothing to with it (NHS) – ARE LIES
- TOXIC TRUMP the TERMINAL TOERAG
- BORIS – IT’S YOUR WEAK WITHDRAWAL AGREEMENT ! – DONALD IS TRYING TO TELL YOU THAT IF YOU DON’T MAKE FRIENDS WITH THE BREXIT PARTY, CORBYN’S LABOUR WILL WIN. – HAVE YOU GOT THE MESSAGE
- WARMONGERS UNITED ? -GETTING INTO BED WITH TRUMP EXCLUDES BRITAN FROM BEING AN INTERNATIONAL COUNTRY –