And I don’t mean getting down to your local foodie shop or supermarket
14th May 2020
But I do mean that food doesn’t come from foodie shops either
Most of your food comes from farms
And it is time that the Government recognised that farms are more than a “Rural Affair”
Farmer Gardeners Allotment & Growers know that success is all according to the weather
And failures mean gaps in production and supply and demand dictate prices
For a market to exist there must be buyers as well as sellers
But what if the harvest fails
Bread making flour for example – is unavailable except at staggering prices
to all except the bakeries and processors.
So what are these elements we battle against
The weather, disease and supply
Some seeds grow whatever the weather,
seem to be disease free and for which, there is an endless supply
Other seeds are suseptible to almost everything and like sheep
seem to spend their life trying to die.
But it is not only the produce that has to battle.
What about the workers, I hear you say ?
Food producers go on regardless as you have experienced in the Virus pandemic
But I don’t hear you clap for them
That is because all food comes from supermarkets
But Growers know that it alright to carry on if you don’t weaken
And if they do they know that they go to that perfect animal or plant up in the sky
Believing the rest like snowball turnips litter the soil
The elements also include a little help from nature
For to be in the best condition for growing we must take care of our soil
And sometime we have to battle to achieve that too
Drainage and Weeds come to mind first but trace elements are just as important
So finally let me tell you what these stalwarts of the soil really battle against
Flying pigs ? sometimes – Planning Officers – occasionally – Authority – always
You see these people think they are perfect and we are country bumkins
But let me tell you something – should a virus come that really kills off the world
Growers will still be around swapping produce by barter
and living off the fruits of their labours, watching those perfect people
starve as the queue outside supermarkets for that loaf of bread
Next – How Self Sufficient Are You ?
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- It’s ALL According to the Weather – “forecast”- THE BBC v THE MET OFFICE- THE CLIMATE IS CHANGING ….
- DO YOU REALLY ONLY GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR ?
- POPPYCOCK AHDB-(Agriculture & Horticulture Development Board) -THE PRICE OF BREAD MAKING STRONG WHITE AND WHOLEMEAL FLOUR HAS RISEN BY OVER 200% SINCE MARCH, ONLY USED FOR HOME BAKED BREAD & WITH A POOR HARVEST WILL GET MORE EXPENSIVE & IN SHORT SUPPLY
- FROM EU C.A.P – “UN – COMMON” AGRICULTURAL POLICY to A BREXIT B.A.P- BRITISH AGRICULTURAL POLICY ? – ITS ABOUT HOME GROWN, SAFE FOOD & SELF SUFFICIENCY
- THE POWER OF SUGGESTION IS A POWERFUL WEAPON BUT THE NHS IS STILL KILLING OFF 50% OF THOSE SERIOUSLY AFFECTED BY CORONAVIRUS
- THE SATURDAY GARDEN STORY – HOME GROWN – ERRATIC WEATHER – CHOOSING THE RIGHT CROPS