China reports deaths amid Typhoon Haiyan
BEIJING, Nov. 12– Seven people were killed and another four were missing as of 10 a.m. Tuesday as Typhoon
Haiyan continued its progress through south China, according to official figures.
The National Disaster Reduction Commission announced that more than 3 million people in China’s southern
provinces of Hainan and Guangdong and Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region had been affected by the
Haiyan, the strongest typhoon this year, arrived in Guangxi on Monday morning after having wreaked havoc in the
Philippines and Vietnam.
Five fatalities occurred in Hainan and two in Guangxi.The typhoon toppled more than 900 houses, damaged
another 8,500 and destroyed 25,500 hectares of crops.
Direct economic losses amounted to 4.47 billion yuan (734 million U.S. dollars).
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- Asia Philippines-4000 and still counting as Death Toll Double President Aquino’s Stated Calculations
- China evacuates 200,000 as typhoon hits east coast
- Asia Philippines – Typhoon Haiyan – Without God on side
- Climate- Typhoons ? There is worse to come
- Need More Luxury Goods-Find Hong Kong Expensive ?
- Typhoon Hagupit will hit the Poorest