Climate crisis: ‘Rising chance’ of temperatures exceeding 1.5C global target in near future
Met Office assessment for WMO reveals risk of breaching 1.5C mark has doubled since last major study
“[The] WMO has repeatedly stressed that the industrial and economic slowdown from Covid-19 is not a substitute for sustained and coordinated climate action. Due to the very long lifetime of CO2 in the atmosphere, the impact of the drop in emissions this year is not expected to lead to a reduction of CO2 atmospheric concentrations which are driving global temperature increases,” said Professor Taalas.
“Whilst Covid-19 has caused a severe international health and economic crisis, failure to tackle climate change may threaten human well-being, ecosystems and economies for centuries.
“Governments should use the opportunity to embrace climate action as part of recovery programmes and ensure that we grow back better,” he said.
Professor Adam Scaife, the head of long-range prediction at the Met Office Hadley Centre said: “This is an exciting new scientific capability. As human-induced climate change grows, it is becoming even more important for governments and decision makers to understand the current climate risks on an annually-updated basis.”
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- FARMERS WILL TELL YOU THE CLIMATE HAS BEEN CONTINUALLY CHANGING FOR 1000 YEARS – CEREALS WERE GROWN AT 500ft IN THE WEST OF SCOTLAND – NOT ANY MORE – IT’S TOO WET & THE SEASON TOO SHORT
- IT MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL TO HEAR SIBERIA REFERRED TO AS NOT A PLACE TO BE SENT TO – TRY THE TRANS- SIBERIAN RAILWAY – MOSCOW TO BEJING
- OVER POPULATION- LIVING ROOM- THE POWER OVER LIFE & DEATH – THE DR SHIPMAN/ MENGELE /CRIPPEN SOLUTION – “COVID SYMPTOMS / ACUTE BREATHLESSNESS ” DONT CALL YOUR GP DIAL 111/999
- Politicians should take citizens’ assemblies seriously
- Agriculture and Forestry Climate Change Impacts – ON YOUR FOOD SUPPLY – BECAUSE MOST FOOD COMES FROM FARMS !
- Ten trends to watch in the coming year