More than 16,000 people in UK care homes have died from coronavirus
Official figures show almost a third of Covid-19 fatalities have happened in care homes
Wreaths are displayed outside a care home. Photograph: Terry Harris/Rex/Shutterstock
More than 16,000 people have died from Covid-19 in UK care homes, according to the latest official figures – almost a third of all fatalities.
The grim milestone was reached with the deaths of 564 residents in England and Wales in the week to 5 June, according to the Office for National Statistics’ analysis of death certificates.
The rate of deaths in care homes is falling as infections diminish following the lockdown, and the number of deaths above the five-year average in care homes fell to its lowest level since early April.
But care homes remain hard hit and operators are calling for financial help and fresh guarantees from ministers over testing and supplies of personal protective equipment to avert a similar impact in a widely expected second peak of infection.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- AT LAST THE WORMS COME OUT OF THE WOODWORK -LITERALLY – GOVERNMENT DECEIT LIES AND DISINFORMATION EXPOSED
- ALL DEATHS MUST BE INCLUDED SINCE THE VIRUS OUTBREAK INCLUDING DEATHS AT HOME – EVEN THOSE WITH “UNDERLYING MEDICAL CONDITIONS” – REGISTRAR RECORDED STATISTICS FROM PREVIOUS YEARS CAN LATER BE CONSIDERED
- Thousands more could be dead in care homes than official figures show -( We Shall Know from the Registrar of Deaths If these figures are not also faked)
- IF TEN PEOPLE DIED ON THE ROAD YESTERDAY IT WOULD BE CLAIMED AS CARNAGE – NOTE THEY ARE STILL DYING OF COVID 19 IN THE NORTH EAST – NUMBERS EXCLUDE THE COMMUNITY
- WATCH OUT FOR THAT WITCH COFFEY – SHE MIGHT LOOK LIKE YOUR GRANDMOTHER BUT SHE HAS A POISON PEN AND THE BLACK DEATH WRITTEN ALL OVER HER
- THE PENNY HAS JUST DROPPED AT THIS NEWSPAPER AFTER 2 MONTHS OF SHOUTING IT BUT STILL ANOTHER THIRD COMES FROM COMMUNITY HOMES AND OTHER GOVERNMENT INSTITUTIONS