Police officers injured after car involved in 3-vehicle crash on Bishop Auckland bypass –
22nd Dec 2017
UNRESTRICTED SPEED LIMIT REMAINS AT 60 MPH
31st Oct 2018
AFTER CHALLENGING THIS THE COUNCIL AND DURHAM POLICE STATE…
“THERE IS NO NEED TO LOWER THE SPEED LIMIT.”
ANY ACCIDENT INVOLVING A LIFE THREATENING SITUATION
SHOULD NOTE THIS.
IF SPEED WAS AN ISSUE THE LEGAL ADVICE
COULD BE TO CLAIM DAMAGES FROM
DURHAM COUNTY COUNCIL FOR NEGLIGENCE.
THE COUNCIL RESPONSE………………….
Thank you for your correspondence requesting a reduced speed limit on the A688 Bishop Auckland By-Pass.
All ‘A’ and ‘B’ class roads were reviewed in the late 2000’s as part of a countywide programme of reviewing speed limits following the release of guidance from the Department for Transport on the setting of local speed limits.
The intention of the guidance is to ensure speed limits are credible with the aim that they become self-evident and enforcing by virtue of their surroundings.
This is necessary as it is recognised that where a speed limit lacks credibility it often results in motorists driving at higher speeds and taking greater risks.
During the review process many criteria and factors were considered and evaluated including but not limited to existing vehicle speeds and the nature of the road and its surroundings.
The review was undertaken in collaboration with Durham Constabulary as they are responsible for enforcing speed limits.
The review indicated that the speed limit at this location was appropriate and no change was required.
Given the above, it is not our intention to give further consideration to your request to lower the speed limit at this location.
I am sorry I am unable to assist you on this occasion.
Traffic Assets Team
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- COUNTY DURHAM – HOME TO TEESDALE, WEARDALE, FLY TIPPING CENTRE OF THE NORTH AND DURHAM COUNTY COUNCIL – MORALLY AND POLITICALLY BANKRUPT
- COUNTY DURHAM -ARE YOU CORONAVIRUS CONCERNED
- THE BIG C – MAKE COUNTY DURHAM A CORONAVIRUS FREE STATE
- ALLOTMENT GROWERS, GARDENERS & SMALLHOLDERS SHOULD BE PAID TO SELL SURPLUS FOOD JUST AS FARMERS ARE SUBSIDIZED (NOT TO)- ITS PURE DISCRIMINATION
- COUNTY DURHAM PUBLIC TOILETS – DOES YOUR PLACE HAVE ONE – IS IT OPEN AND IS IT BEING CLEANED REGULARLY OR IS IT A ?CESSPIT SMELL – GET IN TOUCH OR EMAIL firstname.lastname@example.org – ask for Lawrence Serewicz
- THE LEFT RECRIMINATIONS START