MAKE EU VISITORS TO UK “TEMPORARY ALIENS”-Passport rules for UK eased
23rd Jan 19
23rd Jan 19
The Independent Travel
Amid the deepening uncertainty about Brexit, Portugal has seized the initiative to entice British travellers after the UK leaves the European Union.
Turismo de Portugal’s London office has announced: “Following the uncertainty and the threat of a no-deal Brexit, the Portuguese government has prepared a contingency plan to avoid, as far as possible, disruption for British travellers to our country.”
After the UK leaves the EU, British passport holders will be “third-country nationals” and will not be entitled to use the fast-track queues for European Union and EEA citizens.
But the Portuguese authorities say they will set up dedicated passport control lanes for flights arriving from the UK.
European Health Insurance Cards (EHICs) held by British travellers will cease to be valid after 29 March, and there is no clarity about reciprocal health-care agreements after Brexit. But UK visitors will still qualify for emergency medical treatment through the Portuguese health service regardless.
The announcement also promises “simplified requirements for UK nationals’ pets”.
It mentions the “possibility” that British driving licences may be recognised in Portugal. The Independent is seeking clarification on this issue.
In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK motorists are being advised to obtain one or more International Driving Permits (IDPs). If Portugal abolished the requirement unilaterally, it would benefit British travellers renting cars in the country. But anyone planning to drive to Portugal would need a 1949 version IDP for Spain, and possibly a 1968 version if they intend to drive through France.
The move may trigger similar assurances from other countries that are heavily dependent on UK tourism.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- Another RT Baldy ?-R.Barbrook@westminster.ac.uk” – That only leaves a sovereign NO DEAL So you are against the sovereign ?
- WILL YOU BE PARTY TO THE WORKERS BREXIT ?
- Britain’s not working under PM May’s Capitalist policy
- NON EU CITIZENS ARE REQUIRED TO REGISTER PROVE THEIR UNDERSTANDING OF ENGLISH AND PASS THE LIFE IN THE UK TEST ALL COSTING £THOUSANDS
- No deal is better than Brexit delay, say voters – exclusive Telegraph poll
- ALL LIES LIES LIES and COMPLETE CODSWALLOP- COD IS FISHED IN NORTHERN WATERS -We buy SOME Cod from Iceland who are NOT A MEMBER OF THE EU AND WE GROW THE BEST CHIPPING POTATOES IN THE WORLD