Boris tears into Barnier’s fishing plan as UK rejects Brussels £90m offer – ‘Not enough!’
BORIS JOHNSON has fired back at Michel Barnier’s fishing deal plan, after the chief Brussels negotiator offered £90m for Europe to have access to British waters.
Brexit: Barnier offering UK fishing package says expert
Britain has rejected Michel Barnier’s fisheries plan as “not enough” after Brussels offered £90m in exchange for access to British waters. Boris Johnson’s team has deemed the figure proposed by Brussels as “too low” and “not enough,” as Britain demands EU ups its offer if its fishermen want access next year. According to RTE’s Brexit Republic podcast, Mr Barnier suggested offering around 15 percent of the total worth of fish European boats catch in UK waters each year as payment to the UK – which would amount to £90m.
The Europe Editor Tony Connelly explained: “Barnier has spoken about the €650million worth of fish that the European fleet catch in British waters.
“They want to take that and see how much of that can be passed over to UK boats.
“So what if the EU said you can get €100m of that back as a package of value that you can get showing this is the value we are getting out of Brexit in terms of the amount of fish we can get.
“The theory is that would give the UK a tangible gain on stock shares while allowing EU fleets to maintain a significant amount of access to UK waters and a significant share of fish quotas.”
Boris Johnson’s team has deemed the figure offered by Brussels as ‘too low’
EU officials also acknowledge that this figure would be too low for London to accept
He added: “It is probably not enough if that’s the way we’re going but that is the direction of travel in terms of reaching a deal.”
EU officials also acknowledge that this figure would be too low for London to accept.
One official told RTE: “If the wider negotiations are going well and there’s a possibility of a deal there, then at some point somebody will say, okay, enough is enough, let’s split the difference.”
Mr Connelly said that EU leaders have admitted it will “suffer a drop in quota”.
Both parties agreed negotiating teams would resume talks in London on Monday
He continued: “EU member-states will try to do some burden-sharing amongst themselves so not one single member-states takes all the pain of the quota loss.”
This comes as Brexit negotiations remain deadlocked after a call between Boris Johnson and Ursula von der Leyen.
Both sides admitted that “large differences remain” ahead of a decisive week of talks.
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- FRENCH FRIENDS ? NOW YOU ARE GOING TO BELIEVE US – BREXIT MEANS EXECUTE THE CAPTURE OF PORT CALAIS – FORGET NORMANDY – THE US REALLY HATED THEM TOO THEN MARCH ON PARIS AND BYPASS THE IMAGINARY LINE AND TELL THE KRAUTS TO KEEP BMW’S COMING OR ELSE
- BRITAIN IS AN ISLAND – BREXITFISHING IS A TWO EDGED SWORD – WE WONT FISH YOUR WATERS – YOU WON’T FISH OURS – SO YOU WILL HAVE TO POLICE YOUR OWN WATERS – SUCH AS THEY ARE
- THIS IS A PEOPLE’S BREXIT WITH BORIS THE SOROS IN CHARGE – THE PEOPLE TURNED THE TORY GOVERNMENT UPSIDE DOWN OVER THE RESULT – BORIS, YOU ARE TO DISMISS THE EU WITH A NO DEAL AND DELIVER A PEOPLE’S BREXIT FOR BRITAIN OR LIKE CHURCHILL YOU WILL BE OUT
- EU – NO WE DID NOT JOIN – PM MAJOR SIGNED UP TO AGREEMENTS MILLIONS OF BRITAIN’S OPPOSED – KEEP BRITISH FISHING WATERS FOR THE BRITISH – REMEMBER- HMS HOOD BORIS, OR BE SUNK YOURSELF
- IF BORIS THINKS BREXITEERS ARE ONLY RIGHT WING – HE SHOULD WATCH HIS COMFORT ZONE. MOST BREXITEERS DESERTED CORBYN FOR A LEXIT – RISKY BUSINESS BORIS
- SOD OFF WARS – POLICE THAT BORIS – ITS A BREXIT CON TRICK