AND 24% NEED A REFERRAL TO A SPECIALIST…-
THAT LEAVES 1% WITH COVID SYMPTOMS-
WHO ARE TOLD TO FUCK OFF AND DIAL 111…
SO WHAT DOES THAT TELL YOU ….-
SAYS A RETIRED TRAUMATOLOGY MATRON………… ?
CARRY ON SPECIALIST NURSE SPECIALISTS
LONG READ: WHAT DOESN’T KILL YOU…
For a few months last year, Graham Lawton kept a diary of his minor health woes from each day.
Keeping a record confirmed what he had suspected – that he’s constantly slightly ill.
His record listed dozens of minor ailments, from colds, twitchy eyelids and a sore shoulder to a terrifying loss of taste and smell. These are common complaints, and yet there is no formal scientific definition of a minor ailment, and medical understanding of such conditions is often surprisingly rudimentary.
This should be a big issue, because about three-quarters of family doctor appointments in the UK are for conditions that rarely require medical intervention, such as back pain, dermatitis, indigestion, coughs and sprains. The vast majority of our illnesses are trivial, but they collectively add up to a great deal of human misery, and some can be early warning signs of a serious disease. Learning to distinguish genuine minor ailments from the more worrying ones would save us a great deal of wasted resources and unnecessary grin-and-bear-it suffering
Similar Recent Posts by this Author:
- ARE YOU JUST A NUMBER ON THE IMPERSONAL DR’S PRACTICE LIST TOO ?
- Wrap your feet in aluminum foil
- HOW MORE IMPERSONAL IS PRIMARY HEALTH CARE TO BECOME
- EXCLUSIVE-THANKS GP DOCTORS-THE NHS IS ONLY A SICK SERVICE…EXCEPT COVID- UPDATED
- GP’S DON’T RUN MEDICAL PRACTICES & MOST PATIENTS NOT GIVEN A NAMED PRACTIONER
- PRIMARY CARE SERVICE ORGANISED FOR GP’S NOT PATIENTS